Calculating the energy created by a bike pump that feeds a turbine

In summary, the conversation discusses using a bicycle pump to push air through a turbine for energy generation and raises questions about potential energy and the effects of using water instead of air.
rufusbufus
Summary:: I have an assignment that is looking at how a bicycle pump is used to push air through a turbine to generate energy. I need to determine the energy input and energy created. I'm hoping I can get some direction on where to start.

The concept is straightforward. A bicycle pump of length l, radius r, is pushed down and the air expelled used to drive a turbine to generate electricity.

I have seen gravitational energy systems do something similar and the energy of the system is based upon potential energy, and directly proportional to the mass in the system (often the mass falling due to gravity, driving a generator).

For a bike pump, is the calculation the same but potential energy is a factor of the force being applied to the pump handle?

Also, if the air was replaced by water, assuming the air turbine and wind turbine were the same diameter, does the material being pushed through the pump and into the turbine have any bearing on the energy produced?

I'd appreciate any suggestions on where to start!

Physics news on Phys.org
rufusbufus said:
The concept is straightforward. A bicycle pump of length l, radius r, is pushed down and the air expelled used to drive a turbine to generate electricity.

I have seen gravitational energy systems do something similar and the energy of the system is based upon potential energy, and directly proportional to the mass in the system (often the mass falling due to gravity, driving a generator).

For a bike pump, is the calculation the same but potential energy is a factor of the force being applied to the pump handle?
Yes. So how will you be applying force to the pump handle? Do you have a way of specifying or calculating what that force will be?

rufusbufus said:
Summary::

Also, if the air was replaced by water, assuming the air turbine and wind turbine were the same diameter, does the material being pushed through the pump and into the turbine have any bearing on the energy produced?

I'd appreciate any suggestions on where to start!

The kinetic energy of fluids depends upon the density of the substance. Water is more dense than air, so yes it does have a bearing.

What is the formula for calculating energy created by a bike pump that feeds a turbine?

The formula for calculating energy created by a bike pump that feeds a turbine is: E = Q x P x t, where E is the energy in joules, Q is the volume of air pumped in cubic meters, P is the pressure in pascals, and t is the time in seconds.

How do you determine the volume of air pumped by a bike pump?

The volume of air pumped by a bike pump can be determined by measuring the diameter of the pump's barrel and the distance the plunger travels when pumping. The volume can then be calculated using the formula for the volume of a cylinder: V = π x r^2 x h, where V is the volume, π is pi (approximately 3.14), r is the radius (half the diameter), and h is the distance the plunger travels.

What is the pressure generated by a bike pump?

The pressure generated by a bike pump can vary depending on the type of pump and the strength of the person pumping. On average, a bike pump can generate a pressure of 100-120 psi (pounds per square inch).

How does the time factor into the calculation of energy?

The time factor, represented by t in the formula, is important because it measures the duration of the pumping process. The longer the pump is used, the more energy is created. However, it is also important to consider the efficiency of the turbine in converting the energy into usable power.

What are some factors that can affect the accuracy of the calculation?

Some factors that can affect the accuracy of the calculation include the efficiency of the pump and the turbine, air leakage, and the consistency of the pumping rate. Additionally, external factors such as temperature and altitude can also impact the results.