Mechanical Engineer Technologist Career

In summary, the conversation revolves around the topic of Mechanical Engineering Technology (MET) and its potential career opportunities. The speaker shares their personal experience and mentions the projected growth rate for MET jobs to be slower than average. They also discuss the impact of technology advancements and manufacturing jobs going overseas on the job market for MET. The speaker suggests seeking local advice and pursuing the dream of becoming a Mechanical Engineer instead, providing a link for available scholarships and recommending contacting ASME for further help. The conversation ends with words of encouragement to never give up on one's dreams.
AmyForbis
Hey guys I have a question. I was interested in Mechanical Engineering however do to financial difficulties I decided to go with Mechanical Engineering Technology as a degree. I have a question concerning careers in Mechanical Engineering Technology. I went online and the internet stated the projected growth rate was expected to grow 5 perect slower than avarage. Do you think that there will be lots of jobs avaliable in the future for M.E.T. because of advancements in technology or do you think there will be less jobs due to manufacturing going over seas? Let's assume that all manufacturing jobs went over seas what type of jobs would a technologist be able to do? Do you think they would have to compete with Engineers for Cad design jobs? Do you think there will always be a need for Mechanical Engineering Technologist or would they eventually be phased out? Thanks very much...

Physics news on Phys.org
Job markets are local. Get some local advice.

Likes billy_joule
Amy,
I totally support you in your endeavors but please pursue your dream of being a Mechanical engineer! . Although I cannot comment on MET, by father was a Dean of Engineering and later Professor Emeritus, and from my understanding Mechanical engineering is the way to go based on the current environment. I reference a link for you:

https://colleges.niche.com/scholarships/major/mechanical-engineering/ which lists all of the scholarships available for you.

I would further contact the ASME/American Society of Mechanical Engineers for further help in your educational plans. Once you have your degree, you won't look back ! Good luck and never let go of your dreams!

1. What is a Mechanical Engineer Technologist?

A Mechanical Engineer Technologist is a professional who applies principles of mechanical engineering to design, develop, and maintain mechanical systems. They work closely with engineers to implement and test designs, troubleshoot issues, and improve existing systems.

2. What are the key skills required for a career as a Mechanical Engineer Technologist?

Some key skills that are important for a Mechanical Engineer Technologist include strong technical and analytical abilities, proficiency in CAD software, knowledge of mechanical principles and materials, and excellent problem-solving skills. They should also possess good communication and teamwork skills.

3. What kind of education and training is required to become a Mechanical Engineer Technologist?

Typically, a Mechanical Engineer Technologist needs a bachelor's degree in mechanical engineering technology or a related field. Some employers may also require a professional certification or relevant work experience. Continuing education and training in new technologies and techniques is also important for career advancement.

4. What are the job prospects for Mechanical Engineer Technologists?

The job outlook for Mechanical Engineer Technologists is positive, with a projected growth rate of 4% from 2019 to 2029, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. As industries continue to advance and innovate, the demand for skilled technologists to design and maintain mechanical systems will remain high.

5. What career opportunities are available for Mechanical Engineer Technologists?

Mechanical Engineer Technologists can find employment in a variety of industries, including manufacturing, construction, aerospace, and automotive. They may work in roles such as design technologist, manufacturing technologist, quality control technologist, or project manager. With experience and further education, they can also move into roles such as senior engineer or engineering manager.