Mechanical engineer to aerospace engineer?

In summary, it is difficult to predict the future of space travel, but if you have an interest in it and are qualified for the job, a ME in engineering is a good route to take.
Neven
HI I am a bit early for a 16years old and already think about it maybe but , my dream is to go in the space , which type of engineer goes in space?

And can i start from a mechanical engineer to a aerospace engineer ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Neven said:
And can i start from a mechanical engineer to a aerospace engineer ?
Look at the bios of past astronauts :)

okay thank you ^^

At schools with a very good aero engineering program, I would take that route.

But better to graduate in Mech E with a great GPA at a school with a strong program than in Aero or Astro at a school with a mediocre program.

A number of schools are adding second-rate Aero/Astro Engineering programs. If a school only has a handful of Aero/Astro faculty and the program has a short and sketchy track record, I'd go Mech E.

Go with mechanical and you will always have more options, one of which is aerospace. If you choose to go to grad school in aerospace the ME degree will get you in without a problem because so few undergrads actually have degrees in aerospace engineering. The requirements for admission usually just state "an undergrad degree in engineering".

When I read the brief title I did not know the end game was space travel. If you stay put on mother Earth I suggest ME and if you can take your electives or extra classes in Aero do so.

I had similar thoughts years ago, leaning towards Aero. But it hit me one day, post Apollo Program, that it may be better to go ME. I was not that smart then and think is was a message from above. Roll forward a few decades and my decision was a good one. Right or wrong, everyone hires ME's not so for Aero. Abilities, skills, training for the most part can be equal, there is a stigma that Aero's work in programs with infinite amount of government money and other conditions that don't lend themselves to commercial work. I have been away from corporate life for 10 years, but that was how I saw it for 30 years prior.

As far as space flight that is a guessing game for you this far in advance but a good time to start. First, if you have any health issue that may disqualify you from among thousands that apply, be honest with yourself. Next who is hiring? NASA seems to be getting out of the business. For the Mercury Program jet pilot was the entry ticket. Now NASA wants PhD in science for crew. For the commanders they may still want military pilots, if they are in the business by the time you are ready.

If space goes private determine who will be doing it (Musk for example) and inquire what they want. A mechanic to keep the ship running to and from Mars?
Good luck.

Likes clope023 and Dr.D

1. What is the difference between a mechanical engineer and an aerospace engineer?

A mechanical engineer focuses on the design, development, and testing of mechanical systems, such as engines, machines, and tools. An aerospace engineer, on the other hand, specializes in the design and development of aircraft, spacecraft, and other aerospace vehicles.

2. Can a mechanical engineer transition to become an aerospace engineer?

Yes, a mechanical engineer can transition to become an aerospace engineer, as both fields have a strong foundation in engineering principles. However, additional education and training may be necessary to gain the specific knowledge and skills required for aerospace engineering.

3. What skills are necessary for a mechanical engineer to become an aerospace engineer?

In addition to having a strong background in math, physics, and engineering principles, a mechanical engineer looking to transition to aerospace engineering should also have knowledge and experience in aerodynamics, materials science, and control systems. They should also be familiar with industry-standard software used in aerospace engineering, such as CAD and CFD programs.

4. What are the job prospects for a mechanical engineer transitioning to aerospace engineering?

The job prospects for a mechanical engineer transitioning to aerospace engineering are generally good, as the aerospace industry is constantly growing and evolving. With the right skills and experience, a mechanical engineer can find opportunities in various areas of aerospace engineering, including design, research and development, and production.

5. Are there any specific certifications or licenses required for a mechanical engineer to become an aerospace engineer?

While there are no specific certifications or licenses required for a mechanical engineer to become an aerospace engineer, obtaining a Professional Engineer (PE) license can enhance job opportunities and credibility in the field. Additionally, some employers may require aerospace engineers to obtain security clearance if they will be working on government contracts.