Mechanical Engineering - Thermodynamics - rigid container

In summary, a rigid container is a vessel or enclosure that does not allow changes in shape or volume. It is often used in thermodynamics to contain gases and liquids. A rigid container impacts the behavior of the gas inside by restricting the movement of molecules and causing an increase in pressure and temperature. It can be used for both gases and liquids, but the behavior may differ. In a rigid container, the pressure and volume are inversely related, known as Boyle's Law. Real-life examples of rigid containers include gas cylinders, scuba tanks, pressure cookers, and aerosol cans.
Feodalherren

Homework Statement

thermo.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So part A is correct. I'm completely stumped for part B. I feel like not enough information is given. All I know is the temperature. I tried using ratios but it didn't give me the right answer. How am I supposed to look stuff up in tables when I'm only given T?

Physics news on Phys.org
Nevermind. I guess they just wanted me to assume that the water would still occupy the entire volume. Weird assumption but it worked.

Related to Mechanical Engineering - Thermodynamics - rigid container

1. What is a rigid container in the context of thermodynamics?

A rigid container is a type of vessel or enclosure that does not allow any changes in its shape or volume. In the context of thermodynamics, it is often used to contain a gas or liquid and is considered to be impermeable and non-deformable.

2. How does a rigid container impact the behavior of the gas inside?

A rigid container restricts the movement of the gas molecules, causing them to collide more frequently with the walls of the container. This leads to an increase in pressure and temperature, as the collisions transfer energy to the walls.

3. Can a rigid container be used for both gases and liquids?

Yes, a rigid container can be used for both gases and liquids. However, the behavior of the two substances may differ due to their different compressibility and density.

4. How does the concept of pressure-volume work in a rigid container?

In a rigid container, the pressure and volume are inversely related, meaning that as the volume decreases, the pressure increases. This is known as Boyle's Law and is a fundamental principle in thermodynamics.

5. Are there any real-life examples of rigid containers in use?

Yes, there are many real-life examples of rigid containers, such as gas cylinders, scuba tanks, pressure cookers, and aerosol cans. These containers are designed to withstand high pressures and maintain their shape, making them useful for storing and transporting gases and liquids.