Mechanical Engineering vs Civil Engineering

In summary, the conversation is about a second year engineering student who is deciding between pursuing a MEng in Mechanical or Civil engineering. They have an opportunity to take an intercalated year abroad and are wondering if employers will consider them for alternative positions based on their increased breadth. There is also a discussion about the student's interests in sustainability and energy, and whether international aspects should be considered. Additionally, there is a project in simulation of waves that the student will be working on during the summer, and there is a question about whether it falls under mechanical or civil engineering. The general consensus is that mechanical engineering would be a better choice for the student's interests and career prospects.

Civil Or Mechanical for Main Spine?

• Total voters
Shahe
Hello everyone, I know this has come up a lot in the past but my situation is slightly different. As is everyones. Currently a second year general engineering student with a decision to make soon, MEng Mechanical or MEng Civil?

I enjoy both subjects equally. But I will be taking an intercalated year abroad. In mechanical or civil engineering depending on which one I choose as my main spine. My question is, I assume I'll have transcripts for this. So will employers consider me for alternative positions based on my increased breadth, or will it not make a difference?

And if so which stream should I pick up as my main, I think my university (Warwick), is a little better for mechanical and electronics in the energy area. But my own interests lie in sustainability and energy. International aspects are important to me also but I assume it's negligible in the grand scheme since both roles are in demand?

On a slightly different note I have a project in simulation of waves, working with a 3D wave flume this summer. Does this fall under Mechanical or Civil Engineering.

Thank you very much for reading.

TL;DR Intercalated year, Mechanical or Civil for main spine.

Physics news on Phys.org
Shahe said:
On a slightly different note I have a project in simulation of waves, working with a 3D wave flume this summer. Does this fall under Mechanical or Civil Engineering.

Flip a coin. Both types of engineers, civil and mechanical, could work on a wave simulation project. Civil Engineers who design beach protection or harbors and jetties need to know something about wave action, and mechanicals often need to know about wave action for designing various things, especially if turbulence or vibration is involved.

This is a tough decision for sure, both fields are great, interesting fields. Seeing that your interests are in sustainability, you would have to decide what exactly within sustainability you want to do. For energy, Mechanical would probably be better (Wind/Solar, etc.,). For sustainable design of structures, etc., then civil would be better. It just comes down to what you like more. I say this because the salaries for both fields are very similar, and so are the job markets. Make a decision on exactly what you want to do, and that'll make the decision easier.

Cheers,

Shahe said:
Hello everyone, I know this has come up a lot in the past but my situation is slightly different. As is everyones. Currently a second year general engineering student with a decision to make soon, MEng Mechanical or MEng Civil?

I enjoy both subjects equally. But I will be taking an intercalated year abroad. In mechanical or civil engineering depending on which one I choose as my main spine. My question is, I assume I'll have transcripts for this. So will employers consider me for alternative positions based on my increased breadth, or will it not make a difference?

And if so which stream should I pick up as my main, I think my university (Warwick), is a little better for mechanical and electronics in the energy area. But my own interests lie in sustainability and energy. International aspects are important to me also but I assume it's negligible in the grand scheme since both roles are in demand?

Thank you very much for reading.

TL;DR Intercalated year, Mechanical or Civil for main spine.

Mechanical is broader (and probably more relevant to your interests in sustainability and energy) and pays better.

Thank you everyone for your advice, I think in the end I'll go with Mechanical as my main spine and decide between Civil and Electronics for my intercalated year later on. :)

1. What is the main difference between mechanical engineering and civil engineering?

Mechanical engineering is focused on the design, development, and maintenance of mechanical systems and machines, while civil engineering is focused on the design, construction, and maintenance of infrastructure such as buildings, roads, bridges, and tunnels.

2. Which field offers more opportunities for hands-on work?

Both mechanical engineering and civil engineering involve hands-on work, but civil engineering typically involves more on-site work, while mechanical engineering may involve more work in a lab or workshop setting.

3. Is there a difference in the required education for mechanical engineering vs civil engineering?

Both fields require a bachelor's degree in engineering, but the specific coursework and focus may differ. Mechanical engineering typically involves more math and physics courses, while civil engineering focuses more on structural design and materials.

4. What types of projects do mechanical engineers work on compared to civil engineers?

Mechanical engineers may work on projects such as designing and testing new engines, developing heating and cooling systems, or creating new manufacturing processes. Civil engineers may work on projects such as designing a new bridge, planning a transportation system, or constructing a high-rise building.

5. Which field has better job prospects?

Both mechanical engineering and civil engineering have strong job prospects, but the demand may vary depending on location and industry. In general, mechanical engineering tends to have a higher demand in industries such as automotive, aerospace, and manufacturing, while civil engineering may have a higher demand in industries such as construction and infrastructure development.