Which Type of Engineering Should I Choose: Mechanical or Civil?

In summary, the conversation is between Pierre, a 24-year-old carpenter from Sweden, and Luois, a mechanical engineering student. Pierre is seeking advice on which engineering degree to pursue, either mechanical or civil engineering. Luois explains that both degrees offer a broad range of job opportunities and shares videos to give Pierre a better understanding of what each degree entails. Pierre expresses interest in both fields and mentions his experience in carpentry and fixing vehicles. The conversation ends with a joke about mechanical engineers making missiles and civil engineers making targets.
pierre_nordgren
Hi everyone !

Iv read a lot of threads that brings up this subject . But couldn't find anyone that were in "my shoes"

Im a 24 year old guy who lives in Sweden and works as a carpenter ( 5 years experience )

Iv been studying math , physics and chemistry at evenings and nights for 2 years along side my fulltime job as an carpenter
and now I am finally qualified to study engineer in collage,

WELL , I am having abit difficullty to choose between mechanical and civil engineer ( bachelor ).
Im a carpenter and have experience and i guess that will help me if i study civil engineer and eventually help me get a job easier due to my background. But it feels like ur pretty much locked down into buildings and stuff and I am not sure if i want that .

BUT mechanical is much more broad in fields to work with. U can work offshore ( thinking of norway) at oilriggs, manufacturing of cars , machines . well the list goes on. I don't know how a workday for a mechanical engineer looks like. Iv search a lot and even tried youtube . Tried to download solidworks to get a hunt but the dang gave me a virus...

My Goals are to move to Australia and work as an engineer there. I can't stand the cold in Sweden...

Please help me make it easier to choose !

Best regards , Pierre

Physics news on Phys.org
It depends on what you like to do, I'm a mechanical engineering student and I keep in touch with two friends from civil engineering. The first thing they taught me is that civil engineering is a broad engineering as well, you can work in any field you want to with a bachelor in C.Eng from aerospace industry to mining industry. Keep in mind that you are going to study fluid mechanics, structural analysis, design, materials... and other subjects that are all around us.

Posdata: I'm pretty sure that any degree can take you to work in the industry you want, but each degree will approach differently!
In my university we Mech.eng student see a lot of classes with C.eng students.

Luois

Thank you for your answer Luois !

The problem is I don't know what I like to do. If I am more into machines or into buildings... Thats why an engineer education that is broad would be good.

Is there any way to get an heads up about mechanical engineer ? A video maybe ?

Will my background as an carpenter be a qualification on my resume if i take my examination in mechanic ?

People ! What would YOU do if u were in my shoes ?

Best regards , Pierre

pierre_nordgren said:
Thank you for your answer Luois !

The problem is I don't know what I like to do. If I am more into machines or into buildings... Thats why an engineer education that is broad would be good.

Is there any way to get an heads up about mechanical engineer ? A video maybe ?

Will my background as an carpenter be a qualification on my resume if i take my examination in mechanic ?

People ! What would YOU do if u were in my shoes ?

Best regards , Pierre

Hey Pierre, I don't know if a qualification as carpenter might help in any of those degrees you mentioned, but since you don't have any interest in particular both are great options, I don't want to encourage you to pursue something ,I want to put the options on the table and it's up to you to choose. Anyway I'd choose Mech.engineering.
Take a look to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocqceS7KlzE (day at work as mechanical engineer)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoUi_CfDZP8&index=11&list=PLDg6TjdNA3g5yMwC3_wR81qtw81fE1E4l (Civil engineering worth it?)
(mechanical engineering a good major?) (video from American society of Civil engineering)
I think those videos can help you to understand a little bit better. hope you'll manage to choose the best for you and tell us what major you are going for! ,Luois

Those were great videos . some of them Iv already seen =)

Sorry if i sounded missleading , I do have interest in both civil and mechanical.

I enjoy to do carpentry , like building houses and renovation,
I also like to fix with my motorcycle ( an old honda vf750 from the 80`s) when it comes to change motorparts , also with my car . I do all the work by my self ( mostly)The more I read and the more I research about civil and mechanical engineer the harder it gets for me to make an descision...

Best regards , pierre

Mechanical engineers make missiles. Civil engineers make targets.

What is the difference between mechanical and civil engineering?

Mechanical engineering focuses on the design, development, and maintenance of mechanical systems, such as machines, engines, and tools. Civil engineering, on the other hand, deals with the design and construction of infrastructure projects, such as buildings, roads, bridges, and water systems.

Which field of engineering has better job prospects?

Both mechanical and civil engineering have good job prospects, as they are essential for modern society. However, the demand for civil engineers is expected to grow faster due to increasing infrastructure needs.

What skills are required to be a successful mechanical or civil engineer?

Successful mechanical engineers need a strong understanding of physics, math, and computer-aided design (CAD) software. Civil engineers should have a good grasp of structural analysis, materials science, and project management.

Can a mechanical engineer work in the field of civil engineering, and vice versa?

While there may be some overlap in certain tasks, such as designing heating and cooling systems for buildings, it is generally not recommended for engineers to switch fields without additional education or training. Each field requires a unique set of skills and knowledge.

Which field of engineering has higher earning potential?

The earning potential for both mechanical and civil engineers can vary greatly depending on factors such as experience, location, and industry. Generally, mechanical engineers tend to earn higher salaries, but civil engineers have the potential for higher salaries as they progress in their careers and take on more complex projects.