Mechanical gyroscopes -- still used in airplanes?

In summary, there are various types of gyros used in airplanes, including mechanical gyros, FOGs, MEMS gyros, and ring-laser gyros. Mechanical gyros are commonly found in older aircraft, while newer aircraft use FOGs or MEMS gyros. High-end EFIS equipment uses ring-laser gyros. FOGs may also be used in some aircraft, although it is not as common.
Abokoj
I was a bit unsure where to post this, but this one seemed fitting enough.
I was wondering about the state of gyros in airplanes, like which type is being used today.
Are they all optik/fiber-based or are there mechanical gyroscopes at work. (By mechanical i mean the standard spinning wheel, not sure if it's the right definition. If there aren't when were they last used). I also know of the MEMS gyros but they don't seem quite in the airplane industry yet.
So yeah, I'd appreciate some clarification some example for a gyro would be great. Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
I believe that most mechanical gyros have been replaced by FOGs over the last 20 years.

Triaxial FOGs are available as a gyrocompass on ships to determine true north from sensing the Earth's rotation.

Older aircraft with "conventional" flight instruments (referred to in aviation, somewhat pejoratively, as "steam gauges") use mechanical gyros. This is still fairly common in single-engine and light twin-engine aircraft -- although it is becoming less so. Low-end Electronic Flight Information Systems (EFIS -- often referred to as "glass-cockpit") use an architecture called an "Attitude Heading Reference Systems" (AHRS - pronounced AE-hars), which uses MEMS gyros. High-end EFIS equipment uses ring-laser gyros. I haven't heard of FOGs being used in aircraft, but it's possible they are.

If you ever have a chance to fly up front in an aircraft that has steam gauges, when electric power is applied before engine start, you can hear a whining noise. That's the turn coordinator or turn & slip gyro spooling up. You won't hear the attitude indicator or directional gyro spool up because they are usually vacuum driven and require the engine to be running.

Likes tech99, JRMichler and FactChecker

What is a mechanical gyroscope?

A mechanical gyroscope is a spinning wheel or disc that maintains its orientation in space, allowing it to detect changes in the aircraft's direction and provide stability.

Why are mechanical gyroscopes still used in airplanes?

Mechanical gyroscopes are still used in airplanes because they are reliable, have a long lifespan, and can function without relying on external power sources. They also provide accurate readings and are not affected by electromagnetic interference.

How do mechanical gyroscopes work?

Mechanical gyroscopes work based on the principle of angular momentum. When the gyroscope is spinning, it will resist any attempts to change its orientation. This resistance is used to detect changes in the aircraft's direction and provide stability.

What are the main components of a mechanical gyroscope?

The main components of a mechanical gyroscope include a spinning wheel or disc, a frame to hold the gyroscope, and gimbals or bearings that allow the gyroscope to maintain its orientation.

Do mechanical gyroscopes require maintenance?

Yes, mechanical gyroscopes do require maintenance. They need to be calibrated regularly to ensure accuracy and may need to be replaced if they become worn out or damaged. However, they generally require less maintenance compared to other types of gyroscopes.