Mechanical problems converted into electrical circuits.

In summary, the conversation discusses the conversion of two mechanical systems into analogous electrical circuits. In the first system, the forces due to gravity are in opposite directions and the masses are drawn in parallel, while in the second system, they are in the same direction and the masses are tied together by an inextensible string. The conversation also touches on the steady state of the second system and the direction of forces in the pulley system.
peripatein
Hi,

Homework Statement

Attached (Q1,Q2) are two mechanical systems I am asked to convert into analogous electrical circuits. In Q2, it was stated that B4 is the friction between each of the three masses and the surface.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attached (Q1 - Converted, Q2 - Converted) are my conversions, which I am not sure are correct. I'd sincerely appreciate some feedback on these two conversions.

Attachments

• Q1 - Converted.jpg
    Q1 - Converted.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 547
  • Q1.JPG
    Q1.JPG
    12.2 KB · Views: 556
  • Q2.JPG
    Q2.JPG
    9.3 KB · Views: 552
  • Q2 - Converted.jpg
    Q2 - Converted.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 528
Physics news on Phys.org
In your first analog, shouldn't the force due to gravity be working in the same direction for both masses? How did you end up with the inductor and resistor in parallel between the two nodes? Surely the mechanical versions are in series in the "light inextensible string" that winds through the pulleys.

In the second analog I don't see where B4 is defined in the mechanical version, but I presume it's meant to represent friction between the masses and the "ground" surface. Should they be the same value for all three masses?

I referred to B4 in my statement above. Is my analog correct then?
Please see new attachment for the corrected analog of Q1. Is it indeed correct now?

Attachments

• Q1 - Converted1.jpg
    Q1 - Converted1.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 479
peripatein said:
I referred to B4 in my statement above. Is my analog correct then?
Please see new attachment for the corrected analog of Q1. Is it indeed correct now?

It looks fine to me, provided that "down" is defined to be positive in your mechanical system.

Thanks :). By the way, would it be correct to say that in Q2, in the steady state (i.e. capacitors are open, inductors are short), V1 would be equal to f/(3B4) whereas V2 and V3 would be zero?

peripatein said:
Thanks :). By the way, would it be correct to say that in Q2, in the steady state (i.e. capacitors are open, inductors are short), V1 would be equal to f/(3B4) whereas V2 and V3 would be zero?

Nope. The shorted inductors tie all three nodes together, so they must all have the same potential.

If you consider the "original", the dampers between the masses will cause any initial oscillations to die away, but the whole ensemble will continue to move at some constant velocity limited by friction.

I see. So is V1=V2=V3=f/(3B4)?

peripatein said:
I see. So is V1=V2=V3=f/(3B4)?

You should be able to answer that by redrawing the circuit with the reactive components suppressed as you've stated. What does the steady state circuit look like?

Please see attachment. Each branch gets f/3 so Vi should be equal to f/3B4. Unless I am mistaken. Am I?

Attachments

• Q2 - Converted1.jpg
    Q2 - Converted1.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 523
peripatein said:
Please see attachment. Each branch gets f/3 so Vi should be equal to f/3B4. Unless I am mistaken. Am I?

You are not mistaken :smile:

In analog 1, are there only 2 velocity nodes/points? My guess is that there are only two, viz. V1 and V2, since the other potential nodes/points are in parallel. Am I right?

peripatein said:
In analog 1, are there only 2 velocity nodes/points? My guess is that there are only two, viz. V1 and V2, since the other potential nodes/points are in parallel. Am I right?

You could define a node at the junction of the resistor and inductor in order to determine the velocity of the spring end. But this would not be an "essential node", as it occurs in the middle of a branch.

Hi,
In your first reply to my question yesterday, you wrote "surely the mechanical versions are in series in the 'light inextensible string' that winds through the pulleys." However, when you take a look at the analog (attachment '2') of the system shown in the recently added attachment '1', the masses are drawn in parallel whereas here too a light inextensible string winds through the pulleys and connects the two masses. Why the seeming discrepancy?
Furthermore, why are the forces due to gravity now in opposite directions?

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    7.6 KB · Views: 474
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    11.4 KB · Views: 453
Last edited:
peripatein said:
Hi,
In your first reply to my question yesterday, you wrote "surely the mechanical versions are in series in the 'light inextensible string' that winds through the pulleys." However, when you take a look at the analog (attachment '2') of the system shown in the recently added attachment '1', the masses are drawn in parallel whereas here too a light inextensible string winds through the pulleys and connects the two masses. Why the seeming discrepancy?
For masses, what is being modeled is their inertial mass. This is always referenced to the rest frame, so one leg of the analogous capacitor is always tied to ground. This is true even for masses suspended in the air by ropes.

In this new system, note that the string ties the masses together so their movements (positions, velocities, accelerations) are linked. While the ground "leg" of both capacitors are automatically tied together simply because all masses are tied to ground, in this case the "free" legs are tied together too by the inextensible string. That's why they end up in parallel.

Furthermore, why are the forces due to gravity now in opposite directions?

Ah. I think I have an apology to deliver :blushing: Upon reflection I realize that I made an error before when I suggested that the currents ("Forces") should be in the same direction. Of course they should be opposite as you had them. If the pulley system is redrawn, stretched out horizontally and the acting forces reoriented accordingly, the correct directions for the motions and forces becomes obvious:

attachment.php?attachmentid=63672&stc=1&d=1383653816.gif

Here Fg is pulling "left" on M1 and "right" on M2. Opposite directions. I should have spotted that, sorry.

Attachments

• Fig1.gif
    Fig1.gif
    7.3 KB · Views: 796
  • attachment.php?attachmentid=63672&stc=1&d=1383653816.gif
    attachment.php?attachmentid=63672&stc=1&d=1383653816.gif
    7.3 KB · Views: 325

1. How can mechanical problems be converted into electrical circuits?

Mechanical problems can be converted into electrical circuits through the use of sensors, which can detect and convert mechanical forces, movements, or changes into electrical signals. These electrical signals can then be processed and used to control other components in the circuit.

2. What are the benefits of converting mechanical problems into electrical circuits?

Converting mechanical problems into electrical circuits allows for easier and more precise measurement and control of mechanical systems. It also allows for the integration of mechanical systems with electronic devices and technologies, leading to more efficient and automated processes.

3. What types of mechanical problems can be converted into electrical circuits?

Any mechanical problem that involves force, motion, or changes in physical properties can potentially be converted into an electrical circuit. This includes problems such as pressure, temperature, or position sensing.

4. How do scientists design circuits to convert mechanical problems into electrical signals?

Designing circuits to convert mechanical problems into electrical signals requires a thorough understanding of both mechanical and electrical principles. Scientists use various components such as transducers, amplifiers, and filters to accurately detect, measure, and convert mechanical signals into electrical signals.

5. What are some real-world applications of converting mechanical problems into electrical circuits?

There are many real-world applications of converting mechanical problems into electrical circuits, such as in automotive systems for measuring engine performance, in medical devices for monitoring vital signs, and in industrial settings for controlling and optimizing manufacturing processes. It is also used in consumer electronics, such as touch screens and motion sensors in smartphones.