Mechanics before LA/Vector Calc

• Thread starter torquemada
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mechanics
In summary, the person is doing well in intro mechanics and plans to take intro E&M in the spring. They have not taken vector calc, linear algebra, or differential equations but are considering learning them on the go. They are unsure if they should take these math courses before taking upper level mechanics, as there are conflicting prerequisites listed by the university. The department head says they can take the course but it will be challenging.
torquemada
Hi - I'm doing well in intro mechanics this fall (got perfect score on first exam) and I'm going to take intro E&M this spring. I've done multivariable calc up to triple integrals but not vector calc or LA or DEs (though I've watched some khan academy on LA, DEs and vector calc lol). Can I learn this on the go and take mechanics? My prof says its hard but not impossible. I'm just nervous I don't want to get burned out and/or turned off if I don't have the proper math background. On the one hand I hear in physics you always learn new math so there is no point in postponing things till spring 2013 just because u haven't taken the pure math courses for it (e.g. what pure math class in undergrad teaches calculus of variations?). On the other hand I feel like DEs, LA and vector calc are so basic to advanced physics that it'd be suicide to not take em before taking upper level mechanics. Any ideas? Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
What are the official prerequisites for the mechanics course, as listed in the university's course catalog or web site?

They contradict lol. One source on the CUNY registration site has it as that which I've taken already (up to triple integrals and intro mechanics) - another source on the physics website has a requirement for the course as the first math methods course which covers ODEs and Vector calc - the department head said i can take it but it would be challenging so 'take at your own risk'. idk tho - they use marion and thornton and do most of the book in one semester.

1. What is mechanics?

Mechanics is a branch of physics that deals with the study of motion and forces on objects. It is concerned with the physical laws that govern the behavior of objects in motion.

2. What topics are covered in mechanics before LA/Vector Calc?

The topics covered in mechanics before linear algebra and vector calculus include kinematics, dynamics, Newton's laws of motion, work and energy, momentum, rotational motion, and simple harmonic motion.

3. Why is it important to study mechanics before LA/Vector Calc?

Studying mechanics before linear algebra and vector calculus is important because it provides a solid foundation and understanding of the fundamental principles of motion and forces. These concepts are essential for understanding more complex topics in physics and engineering.

4. How is mechanics used in real-life applications?

Mechanics is used in many real-life applications such as designing structures, predicting the motion of objects, understanding the behavior of fluids and gases, and developing new technologies. It is also essential in fields such as aerospace engineering, automotive engineering, and robotics.

5. What are some common misconceptions about mechanics?

Some common misconceptions about mechanics include the belief that it only applies to large objects or that it is only relevant in the field of physics. In reality, mechanics applies to all objects, regardless of size, and has applications in many different fields, including engineering, biology, and sports.