Mechanics problem: A Weight and a Mass Suspended from a String

smnjech
TL;DR Summary
I have difficulty solving this problem.

A homogeneous sphere of weight G, radius R is suspended at location 0 together with a weight of weight P in the manner indicated in Fig. 2.5. Determine the angles and the force F acting on the sphere from the hinge of the weight P.

The thing that makes me confused is that in the solution of the problem stated in the book, the angle of α/2 appears and I do not know why.
20230821_182648.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to show your work. We can't give help until you show an effort.

Likes topsquark
phinds said:
You need to show your work. We can't give help until you show an effort.
The main idea that I started with was that there has to be static equilibrium, so the sum of all forces acting on a sphere must give zero. I decomposed the forces into x and y components and for the x component I came up with Tsin(φ)=Fcos(α) and for y component Fsin(α)+G=Tcos(φ). But when I later looked at the solution there was α/2 instead of α and I dont umderstand why.

You need the torque equation with respect to the point O to the whole system and a lot of geometry.

Last edited:
Likes PeroK
smnjech said:
The main idea that I started with was that there has to be static equilibrium, so the sum of all forces acting on a sphere must give zero. I decomposed the forces into x and y components and for the x component I came up with Tsin(φ)=Fcos(α) and for y component Fsin(α)+G=Tcos(φ). But when I later looked at the solution there was α/2 instead of α and I dont umderstand why.
I am trying to decode your equations to figure out why you think they apply.

So ##F## is the tension in the right hand cord supporting weight ##P##. You seem to think that this force is applied at an angle ##\alpha## below the horizontal to the sphere.

Can you identify the two angles where the cord meets the sphere above its equator and then departs from the sphere at its equator? What is the average of those two angles?

At what angle, on average, does the contact force of cord on sphere act?
With what net force does it act?

Likes PeroK
smnjech said:
The thing that makes me confused is that in the solution of the problem stated in the book, the angle of α/2 appears and I do not know why.
Show us the expression in which ##\alpha /2## appears.

Likes topsquark
Is ##\ell## a rod that connected to the sphere perpendicular and such that they both form a rigid body?

wrobel said:
Is ##\ell## a rod that connected to the sphere perpendicular and such that they both form a rigid body?
Yes it is.

Then it is indeed a simple application of the torque equation.

Welcome, @smnjech !

Could you identify the terms T and F in the shown equations?

Consider that the string is always wrapping the sphere, for any position.
The force that the string applies on the sphere is always pointing to its center (perpendicular direction to the tangent line formed by both sides of the string).

What is the angle that each of those sides symmetrically form with that tangent line?

Nd9GcTr9fHMJ0g-TmOkKNnbiEHBHTrQnobvcJMd4Q&usqp=CAU.png

Last edited:
Lnewqban said:
The force that the string applies on the sphere is always pointing to its center
not always but in the absence of friction

1. What is the difference between weight and mass in this mechanics problem?

The weight of an object is a measure of the force of gravity acting on that object, while mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object. In this problem, the weight and mass of the suspended objects are both important factors in determining the tension in the string.

2. How do you calculate the tension in the string?

The tension in the string can be calculated using the equation T = mg, where T is the tension, m is the mass of the object, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2 on Earth). This equation assumes that the string is massless and the objects are in equilibrium.

3. What happens to the tension in the string if the mass is increased?

If the mass of the suspended object is increased, the tension in the string will also increase. This is because the weight of the object, and therefore the force of gravity acting on it, will increase, resulting in a higher tension in the string to keep the object suspended.

4. Can the tension in the string ever be greater than the weight of the suspended object?

No, the tension in the string can never be greater than the weight of the suspended object. The string will break if the tension exceeds the weight of the object.

5. How does the angle of the string affect the tension in this problem?

The angle of the string does not affect the tension in this problem as long as the string remains taut. The tension is only dependent on the weight and mass of the suspended objects, not the angle of the string.