Mechanism of action of cooling from fans with misters

• I
  • Thread starter jsurow
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cooling
In summary, adding misters to a fan increases cooling due to the evaporation of water directly cooling the air. The amount of mist deposited on the skin works like sweat and cools the person as it evaporates. The principle of a "swamp cooler" is to lower the temperature of the airstream to produce 100% relative humidity at the dew point temperature, but it's best to use this type of cooling in dry air to avoid ending up with saturated air. Indirect evaporative coolers are also available for use in drier climates.
jsurow
II'm trying to figure how adding misters to a fan, sprayed or nebulized water into the stream of air, yields increased cooling. Is it due to a non evaporative mechanism, perhaps better heat transport away from the person through humidified air versus dry air?
It seems to me that the minimal to know evaporation of the water at normal ambient temperatures would not be enough to cool the air directly. I'm also guessing that the amount of water deposited on the skin of a person in the mist is not enough

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
If the mist is injected perfectly one should be able to lower the temperature of the airstream to produce 100% rel humidity air at the dew point temperature. This is the principle of the "swamp cooler " In practice the comfort level thereby produced varies greatly I believe....I have never used one.

Likes russ_watters
jsurow said:
It seems to me that the minimal to know evaporation of the water at normal ambient temperatures would not be enough to cool the air directly.
Evaporation of water into the air does, in fact, cool the air directly.
jsurow said:
I'm also guessing that the amount of water deposited on the skin of a person in the mist is not enough
Mist deposited on the skin will work exactly like sweat and cool the person as it evaporates.
hutchphd said:
If the mist is injected perfectly one should be able to lower the temperature of the airstream to produce 100% rel humidity air at the dew point temperature. This is the principle of the "swamp cooler " In practice the comfort level thereby produced varies greatly I believe....I have never used one.
General principle yes, but you wouldn't typically want to take it all the way to 100% RH. While cooling the air improves comfort increasing humidity reduces comfort. So it's best to use this type of cooling where you have dry air to begin with and don't end up with saturated air*. Or if you're outside and have no alternative.

[edit]
*Like the desert. They also make indirect evaporative coolers, which spray the water into an airstream that is separated from the room air by a heat exchanger, so the moisture doesn't come with it.

Last edited:
Likes Lnewqban and hutchphd

1. What is the mechanism of action of cooling from fans with misters?

The mechanism of action of cooling from fans with misters involves a process called evaporative cooling. The misters spray tiny droplets of water into the air, which then evaporate and absorb heat from the surrounding air. This causes the air to feel cooler as it passes through the fan and onto the skin.

2. How does evaporative cooling work?

Evaporative cooling works by utilizing the principle that water requires energy (in the form of heat) to change from a liquid to a gas. When the misters spray water into the air, the tiny droplets absorb heat from the surrounding air to evaporate, thus lowering the temperature of the air.

3. Can misting fans cool down a large area?

Yes, misting fans can cool down a large area, but the effectiveness may vary depending on factors such as humidity levels and air flow. Evaporative cooling works best in dry climates with low humidity, as the air is able to absorb more water vapor. Additionally, the cooling effect may be more noticeable in areas with good air flow, as the misted air is able to circulate and cool a larger area.

4. Are there any risks associated with using misting fans?

While misting fans are generally safe to use, there are some potential risks to be aware of. The misters can create a wet surface, which may increase the risk of slips and falls. Additionally, if the water used in the misters is not clean, there is a potential for bacteria or other contaminants to be spread through the air. It is important to regularly clean and maintain misting fans to reduce these risks.

5. Do misting fans use a lot of water?

The amount of water used by misting fans can vary depending on factors such as the size of the fan and the frequency and duration of use. However, compared to other methods of cooling such as air conditioning, misting fans typically use less water. Additionally, some misting fans have adjustable settings that allow for control over the amount of water being sprayed, making them more efficient in water usage.