Mechanisms to secure items in a box

• Thread starter engineeringdude
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Box
In summary, the conversation discusses difficulties in designing a system for transferring thin rectangular blocks into a box using a robotic arm. The main concern is securing the items in all three axes while still allowing for easy transfer. The process will be fully automated and the speaker is seeking insights and help from the forum members. More details and mechanical drawings may be requested for further assistance.
engineeringdude
Hi I am having some difficulties in my design and I hope I can get some insights on this. I am using a robot to transfer a stack of thin rectangular blocks (roughly 5mm each) into a box. However, I am having some difficulties thinking how to secure the items in the 3 axis without compromising on the ease of transfer as the robotic arm have to be able to take it out and put it back in with ease. The entire process will be fully automated.

Your help is deeply appreciated! Thank you in advance :D

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

Is this a schoolwork question? If so, I can move your thread to the Homework Help forums for you.

If it is for work, can you give more details about the project? Can you post your mechanical drawings so far as 3D PDF files? Thanks.

1. What are the different types of mechanisms used to secure items in a box?

There are several common mechanisms used to secure items in a box, including latches, locks, straps, and adhesive closures.

2. How do latches work to secure items in a box?

Latches are typically made of metal and consist of a hook or bar that fits into a slot or loop on the box. They can be opened and closed by sliding or rotating the latch mechanism.

3. What types of locks are commonly used to secure items in a box?

Some common types of locks used to secure items in a box include combination locks, key locks, and padlocks. These locks provide an extra layer of security and can only be opened with the correct combination or key.

4. How do straps secure items in a box?

Straps are typically made of strong fabric or plastic and are used to tightly secure items in a box. They can be fastened with buckles, Velcro, or other closures to keep the contents of the box from shifting or falling out.

5. Can adhesive closures be used to secure items in a box?

Yes, adhesive closures such as tape, glue, or stickers can be used to secure items in a box. However, they are not as strong as other mechanisms and may not be suitable for heavy or valuable items.