Meet Faith the Dog: A Miracle of Faith & Love

• Thread starter Astronuc
  • Start date
In summary: Faith is an incredible dog. She was born just before Christmas in 2002, and we were lucky enough to have her in our family just 3 short weeks later. She was born to a mother dog, believed to be nearly full blooded Chinese Chow Chow, along with several other siblings. Faith wasn't the only puppy born with deformities, but because "Princess", her mother, was not our dog, we are not sure of the exact number of puppies she gave birth to. It is certain, however, that Faith was the only puppy with deformities to live. Reuben, Jude's son, found Faith at a flea market and took her home. Jude started training her to walk on her
Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
2023 Award
Faith you can believe. http://faiththedog.info/content/faith-welcomes-you-hugs-and-licks

The apparent official version - "Faith is an incredible dog. She was born just before Christmas in 2002, and we were lucky enough to have her in our family just 3 short weeks later. She was born to a mother dog, believed to be nearly full blooded Chinese Chow Chow, along with several other siblings. Faith wasn't the only puppy born with deformities, but because "Princess", her mother, was not our dog, we are not sure of the exact number of puppies she gave birth to. It is certain, however, that Faith was the only puppy with deformities to live.

Faith was rescued by my son Reuben on January 21, 2003, when he and his friend Johnny, the owner of Princess, jumped over the fence of the flea market area that Princess was raised to guard. Princess isn't exactly the mothering kind. She was literally terminating Faith's life because she knew instinctively that Faith was unable to battle the other puppies for a place to feed. Faith was weak, small, runtish, and mostly she was nearly dead. Reuben grabbed Faith out from under Princess and smuggled her under his jersey. He wore #63 for the Putnam City Pirates football team.

When Reuben brought Faith to us she had 3 actual legs, but the left front leg was badly deformed, placed backward, upside down, and it had more toes on it than normal dog legs. The leg was removed when she was 7 months old when it began to atrophy. People ask me if it was easy to teach Faith to walk upright...the answer is NO! It was not easy, and it was not natural. It was SUPER natural, and therefore, we have to give all of the credit to Jesus. Of course, it took a little...Faith as well. "

An apparent unofficial version circulating on the internet.
He was born on Christmas Eve in the year 2002. He was born with 3 legs, 2 healthy hind legs and 1 abnormal front leg which had to be amputated.

He of course could not walk when he was born. Even his mother did not want him.

His first owner also did not think that he could survive and he was thinking of 'putting him to sleep.

But then, his present owner, Jude Stringfellow, met him and wanted to take care of him.

She became determined to teach and train this little dog to walk by himself.

She named him 'Faith'.

Snopes verifies the story - http://www.snopes.com/photos/animals/faithdog.asp

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
When I was a kid I had a gerbil with three legs (I called it stumpy - we didn't do 'differently-abled' in the 70s)
It did Ok on it's hind legs - not sure which god was responsible for this miracle.

Last edited:
Astronuc said:
People ask me if it was easy to teach Faith to walk upright...the answer is NO! It was not easy, and it was not natural. It was SUPER natural, and therefore, we have to give all of the credit to Jesus.

:rolleyes:

negitron said:
Astronuc said:
People ask me if it was easy to teach Faith to walk upright...the answer is NO! It was not easy, and it was not natural. It was SUPER natural, and therefore, we have to give all "of the credit to Jesus."

:rolleyes:
I'm sure the dog doesn't mind. Jude Stringfellow is free to believe what she believes.

Maybe it's an atheist dog. Ever think of that, Mister? It's having its religious freedoms trod upon!

Faith is a fascinating dog to watch.

I loved it in the video when Ms. Stringfellow said something to the effect of Faith not knowing that s/he wasn't a normal dog. Well, given that dogs have no self-awareness to begin with and, as with small children, their test of "normal" is themselves, then, no, Faith wouldn't have any idea nor would the dog care. Faith's just busy living and getting on with life.

And I think there's something profound in that. Faith's actual attitude, not the anthropomorphised one. (And yes, Ms. Stringfellow is certainly entitled to her projected notions. And she's a good person for taking on such a darling creature who so many people would have simply walked away from.)

mgb_phys said:
When I was a kid I had a gerbil with three legs (I called it stumpy - we didn't do 'differently-abled' in the 70s)
It did Ok on it's hind legs - not sure which god was responsible for this miracle.

I'm impressed! I've never known anyone to train a gerbil before.

I've never even seen a gerbil to do something as simple as fetch. Most of the gerbils I've seen aren't all that close with humans. Their attitude seems to be "if he doesn't put me in that stupid ball again so the cat can bat me around, I'll be happy".

GeorginaS said:
Faith is a fascinating dog to watch.

I loved it in the video when Ms. Stringfellow said something to the effect of Faith not knowing that s/he wasn't a normal dog. Well, given that dogs have no self-awareness to begin with and, as with small children, their test of "normal" is themselves, then, no, Faith wouldn't have any idea nor would the dog care. Faith's just busy living and getting on with life.

And I think there's something profound in that. Faith's actual attitude, not the anthropomorphised one. (And yes, Ms. Stringfellow is certainly entitled to her projected notions. And she's a good person for taking on such a darling creature who so many people would have simply walked away from.)
Thanks GS. I find Faith to be an amazing and fascinating creature. I wasn't particularly concerned about the persons or their beliefs regarding the dog, although I'm pleased the Ms. Stringfellow's son and she had the mindset to rescue Faith.

In my experience, animals do have a self-awareness, but it's different than the awareness that humans have, and it appears to be species dependent.

1. Who is Faith the Dog?

Faith the Dog, also known as "Faith the bipedal dog", was a female dog born in 2002 with only three legs. She gained fame for learning to walk upright on her hind legs, becoming an inspiration and symbol of hope for people with disabilities.

2. What is the book "Meet Faith the Dog: A Miracle of Faith & Love" about?

The book is a heartwarming true story about Faith the Dog and her journey to overcome her physical limitations and become an ambassador for people with disabilities. It also shares how she touched countless lives and spread a message of love and acceptance.

3. How did Faith learn to walk on her hind legs?

Faith's owner, Jude Stringfellow, taught her to balance on her two hind legs by using a spoonful of peanut butter as a reward. With patience and determination, Faith gradually learned to walk, run, and even dance on her hind legs.

4. What impact did Faith have on people's lives?

Faith's story has inspired and touched people all over the world, especially those with disabilities or facing challenges. She served as a therapy dog, visited hospitals and schools, and even met with celebrities and politicians. She continues to be a symbol of resilience and hope for many.

5. Is Faith still alive?

No, Faith passed away in 2014 at the age of 12. However, her legacy lives on through her book and the Faith the Dog Foundation, which provides support and resources for people with disabilities and their pets.