Melting of substance with -ve slope for fusion curve

In summary, the question asks to prove that a substance with a -ve slope for its fusion curve contracts upon melting, and to do so we must show that the change in enthalpy is positive.
Parzeevahl
Homework Statement
Show that a substance with a -ve slope for its fusion curve, such as ordinary ice or bismuth, contracts upon melting.
Relevant Equations
Clausius-Clapeyron equation:
Delta T (change in temp.) = (T * (v(f) - v(i)) * Delta P) / (h(f) - h(i))
where 'Delta P' is the change in pressure.
The question says that the process is melting, so temperature must increase.
Hence, Delta T > 0.
Also, it is given that the slope for its fusion curve is -ve, which means that as we increase temperature, the pressure will decrease.
So, Delta P < 0.
The question asks to prove that the substance contracts upon melting, i.e., Delta v (change in vol.) < 0.
So, in the right-hand side of the Clausius-Clapeyron equation, for both Delta P and Delta v = (v(f) - v(i)) to be -ve, (T / (h(f) - h(i))) must be +ve, as in the left-hand side, Delta T > 0. So essentially the problem comes down to proving that (T / (h(f) - h(i))) > 0.
Now, we are using absolute temperature here, T is always greater than or equal to zero.
So, my question is, how do I prove that h(f) - h(i), i.e., the change in enthalpy, is +ve in this melting process?

Physics news on Phys.org
Parzeevahl said:
Problem Statement: Show that a substance with a -ve slope for its fusion curve, such as ordinary ice or bismuth, contracts upon melting.
Relevant Equations: Clausius-Clapeyron equation:
Delta T (change in temp.) = (T * (v(f) - v(i)) * Delta P) / (h(f) - h(i))
where 'Delta P' is the change in pressure.

The question says that the process is melting, so temperature must increase.
Hence, Delta T > 0.
Also, it is given that the slope for its fusion curve is -ve, which means that as we increase temperature, the pressure will decrease.
So, Delta P < 0.
The question asks to prove that the substance contracts upon melting, i.e., Delta v (change in vol.) < 0.
So, in the right-hand side of the Clausius-Clapeyron equation, for both Delta P and Delta v = (v(f) - v(i)) to be -ve, (T / (h(f) - h(i))) must be +ve, as in the left-hand side, Delta T > 0. So essentially the problem comes down to proving that (T / (h(f) - h(i))) > 0.
Now, we are using absolute temperature here, T is always greater than or equal to zero.
So, my question is, how do I prove that h(f) - h(i), i.e., the change in enthalpy, is +ve in this melting process?
You have to add heat to get something to melt, so the change in enthalpy in going from solid to liquid is positive.

1. What is the melting point of a substance with a negative slope on its fusion curve?

The melting point of a substance with a negative slope on its fusion curve is the temperature at which the solid and liquid phases are in equilibrium. This means that the substance is transitioning from a solid to a liquid state.

2. Why does a substance have a negative slope on its fusion curve?

A substance has a negative slope on its fusion curve due to its unique molecular structure and intermolecular forces. These forces can cause the substance to contract or expand when heated, resulting in a decrease or increase in temperature.

3. How does the melting point of a substance with a negative slope affect its properties?

The melting point of a substance with a negative slope can affect its properties in various ways. It can impact its density, thermal conductivity, and electrical conductivity, among other properties. It can also determine the temperature at which the substance changes states, which can be important in industrial processes.

4. Can a substance have a negative melting point?

No, a substance cannot have a negative melting point. The melting point is the temperature at which a substance transitions from a solid to a liquid state. It cannot have a negative value as it is a physical property that is determined by the molecular structure and intermolecular forces of the substance.

5. How does pressure affect the melting point of a substance with a negative slope?

Pressure can affect the melting point of a substance with a negative slope by altering its molecular structure and intermolecular forces. An increase in pressure can cause the substance to have a higher melting point, while a decrease in pressure can lower its melting point. This is because pressure can affect the distance between molecules, which can impact their interactions and the overall melting process.