Member and Mentor Appreciation Thread

We're closing on 23 years of PF! This is my favorite time of the year on PF. We get to honor some of our impactful members. Let's always share the love and smash that LIKE button on posts you enjoy.

Another great year for PF Insights. Insight authors published 25 Insights this year!

We're making a real difference in real people's lives. Every year we get returning members who graduated, well into their careers or working on their PhD, and tell us how important PF was/is to them. That is what this is all about. Our reach expands well beyond official membership. PF's threads receive millions of views every year and your hard work remains for years to be the benefit of others. We're a knowledge base!

As always a massive special thanks to the staff and mentor group who tirelessly handle thousands of reports over the year, converse personally with members to resolve problems, moderate threads for quality, and construct policies to ensure our community stays strong. Their dedication is a key difference between PF and other science communities. Thanks to all who report threads that we should take a look at it. We can't be everywhere so it helps a lot.

Heading into 2024 let's continue to be kind to others, and ourselves, push for productive debate, and always strive to leave a positive impact where we tread.

Thanks again all! PF is nothing without the amazing support from you, our members. You make the community!

Feel free to comment and shout out below or start voting in the member polls. If you want to give back to PF, here are some ideas.

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Care
Likes DennisN, Juanda, scottdave and 15 others
Physics news on Phys.org
My thanks to all of the mentors for the great job they do in keeping the forum free from crackpots, and special thanks from me to @berkeman.

• Love
Likes jedishrfu, WWGD, chwala and 12 others
Thanks to everyone here at PF that continues to make PF a wonderful place to be!

Likes jedishrfu, WWGD, berkeman and 7 others
My sincerest thanks to our hard-working mentors who ensure that these forums stay on track. Thanks to their indefatigable efforts 24/7, the Sun never sets on PF.
:partytime:

Likes jedishrfu, WWGD, PhDeezNutz and 10 others
My warm and cordial thanks to the PF community and in particular/especially to @kuruman and all his physicists colleagues, and the members I am following herein. Kudos!

Likes bob012345, jedishrfu, WWGD and 9 others
I generally appreciate and admire a great many members on this form, there are some great discussions. I know I'm very aware of the contributions of @Astronuc, @BillTre, and @pinball1970, who seem to contribute so much.

Likes OmCheeto, jedishrfu, WWGD and 8 others
DeBangis21 said:
My warm and cordial thanks to the PF community and in particular/especially to @kuruman and all his physicists colleagues, and the members I am following herein. Kudos!

I also have to make a post specifically acknowledging @kuruman . It’s weird not seeing a trophy award under his username. He’s a mainstay (presumably a he) on these forums and extremely helpful/active. Lately I’ve been seeing him going the extra mile to make drawings for homework help. @erobz also does the same.

• Love
Likes chwala, jedishrfu, WWGD and 11 others
PhDeezNutz said:
I also have to make a post specifically acknowledging @kuruman . It’s weird not seeing a trophy award under his username. He’s a mainstay (presumably a he) on these forums and extremely helpful/active. Lately I’ve been seeing him going the extra mile to make drawings for homework help. @erobz also does the same.
Thank you for your kind words, they are greatly appreciated and I am humbled by your praise.

For the record, my preferred pronouns are he/his/him.

• Love
Likes chwala, jedishrfu, MatinSAR and 8 others
kuruman said:
Thank you for your kind words, they are greatly appreciated and I am humbled by your praise.

For the record, my preferred pronouns are he/his/him.

You deserve every bit of it, and apparently by the polling numbers (last time I checked) others agree :cool:

Likes jedishrfu, WWGD, pinball1970 and 4 others
I want to say thank-you to all of the great Mentors that we have on staff currently, and all Emiritus staff. There is a crazy amount of effort and sincere conversation that goes on behind the scenes here, and I'm proud to be part of it.

The Mentor group is a well-oiled machine, as you can tell from this recent team-building exercise:
1704225055256.png

Thankfully, @Evo dropped her chainsaw at mile 8, so we didn't have to worry about that anymore... :wink:

• Haha
  • Love
Likes DennisN, Stavros Kiri, chwala and 9 others
I go by Eggman/Walrus/Kuku kachoo.

Likes pinball1970, chwala, PhDeezNutz and 2 others
Kudos to the mentors!

@berkeman the leaderboard champion, @Mark44 for his sockpuppet list, to @fresh_42 for his many math insights, to @Drakkith for coming back into the fold and all the other mentors wise and bold and old.

Likes mcastillo356, pinball1970, chwala and 8 others
jedishrfu said:
Kudos to the mentors!

@berkeman the leaderboard champion, @Mark44 for his sockpuppet list, to @fresh_42 for his many math insights, to @Drakkith for coming back into the fold and all the other mentors wise and bold and old.

Also to former mentors

@Chestermiller

I’m always in awe at his insight/proficiency with thermodynamics. The most difficult subject for me and I imagine many others. More importantly his willingness to help others. I guess that’s why he was a mentor.

Edit: he made a post the other day about how it is not necessary to “physically interpret Enthalpy”……..which makes me realize I need to study Legendre Transformations more closely instead of trying to force concepts into nice little cartoons.

Likes Stavros Kiri, pinball1970, Astronuc and 4 others
@berkeman has helped me through some tough times. Thank you Sir.

• Care
Likes Stavros Kiri, pinball1970, Astronuc and 3 others
I discovered Physics Forums this year and I'm in awe with it.
Thank you all for your infinite patience and for sharing the vast amount of knowledge you have in such an easy and amicable manner.
It is truly a unique place on the Internet :heart:.

Likes Stavros Kiri, pinball1970, Astronuc and 6 others
Juanda said:
Thank you all for your infinite patience and for sharing the vast amount of knowledge you have in such an easy and amicable manner.
Yes. Thank you @Greg Bernhardt

Likes pinball1970, Astronuc, Greg Bernhardt and 1 other person
Juanda said:
It is great, though this year:= Last week ;).

• Haha
Likes Stavros Kiri, pinball1970 and Juanda
WWGD said:
It is great, though this year:= Last week ;).
I'm still not used to 2024 being a thing. Time is relative in every sense of the word!

Likes Stavros Kiri, Drakkith and WWGD
Mentors are Members too, but not all Members are Mentors ...
They all make a solid PF though, and all appreciated (and everyone), for multiple reasons ...

Happy, Creative & Productive, Cheerful & Loving/Caring 2024 ...

Stavros

Likes pinball1970, Drakkith, Astronuc and 2 others