MEMS and Duffing curve on ANSYS APDL

In summary, the conversation is about a student seeking help with modeling a system on ANSYS. The system includes a clamped silicon beam actuated by an electric signal and the student has successfully modeled it using SOLID45 and TRANS126 elements. The student is now attempting a Transient NonLinear analysis and hopes to see a hardening or softening regime, but is only getting a linear regime. The student wonders if the damping they included may be the issue and is seeking help from anyone who can offer assistance.
Torseur06
Hi all,

I'm a student in an Engineer School in France and I would like to know if you can help me on this subject.

The system, I have to model on ANSYS, is composed by a clamped clamped silicon beam and actuated by an electric signal V=Vc+Va*cos(w*t) from an electrode located under the beam.

I succeeded to model the beam by SOLID45 elements, and the gap between the beam and the electrode by TRANS126 elements thanks to the EMTGEN macro.

I'm in a Transient NonLinear analysis and I would like to make appear an hardening or softening regime.
For information the 'ylabel' of the Duffing curve is the maximum amplitude and the 'xlabel' is the pulsation 'w'. We draw this curve around the 1st circular pulsation of the beam. The tension Vc and Va are fixed.

However when I run my 'batch' I get a linear regime without softening or hardening regime.
I wonder if it's not the fault of the damping I include. Indeed, I include a Bdamp (Rayleigh Beta Damping).

Can you help me please ?

Thank you very much...

Engineering news on Phys.org
Anybody can help me please ...?

Perhaps a mod could move this to the Mechanical Engineering forum.

1. What is MEMS and how is it used in ANSYS APDL?

MEMS stands for Microelectromechanical Systems, which are miniaturized devices that combine electronic and mechanical components on a small scale. In ANSYS APDL, MEMS is used for analysis and simulation of microscale devices and structures.

2. What is the Duffing curve and its significance in ANSYS APDL?

The Duffing curve is a mathematical model used to describe the nonlinear behavior of a system, specifically a mass-spring system with a cubic nonlinearity. In ANSYS APDL, it is commonly used for structural analysis and to study the dynamic response of MEMS devices.

3. How do I define a Duffing curve in ANSYS APDL?

To define a Duffing curve in ANSYS APDL, you can use the DUF command, which allows you to specify the nonlinear parameters such as the stiffness and damping coefficients.

4. Can I simulate the response of a MEMS device to various inputs using ANSYS APDL?

Yes, ANSYS APDL allows you to simulate the response of a MEMS device to different inputs, such as voltage or pressure, by using the transient analysis feature. This allows you to study the dynamic behavior and performance of the device under different conditions.

5. Are there any limitations to using ANSYS APDL for MEMS and Duffing curve analysis?

While ANSYS APDL is a powerful tool for MEMS and Duffing curve analysis, it does have some limitations. These include the assumption of small displacements and linear elastic behavior, which may not accurately represent the behavior of some MEMS devices. Additionally, ANSYS APDL may not be suitable for high-frequency dynamic analysis of MEMS devices.