Mentioning Mental Illness in a Statement of Purpose for Grad. School

In summary, the author advises against mentioning mental illness in a statement of purpose, but if it adversely affected one's performance it is acceptable to mention it.
DownAndOut
Hi, all.

I’m applying to master’s programs in a technical discipline. For about three and 1/2 semesters in college I was severely clinically depressed. And, as I got to learn first-hand, being severely depressed is pretty debilitating, so for three semesters I got B+s, Bs and B-s. My question is should I bring up my depression in my statements of purpose to explain my poor performance?

My concern is that most people regard any kind of mental illness as either an inexcusable personal weakness or, at best, “please-get-away-from-me-now” weird. Naturally, I have a different view and regard it as a normal part of the human condition to which some people are genetically predisposed. But I recognize that I shouldn't at all try to lecture the people who read my statement of purpose…

I guess my options are
a) Don’t bring up any illness, look generically incompetent
b) Bring up depression, risk making admissions committees think I’m a dysfunctional weirdo*
c) Mention an illness that adversely affected my performance, but don’t name it

Thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org
I hope the three and 1/2 semesters were at the beginning, or at most the middle of your undergraduate career?

The problem is that no one is terribly interested in excuses, even good ones. "I had a problem, I worked it out, I overcame it" is a good story to tell if you picked up your performance towards the end of your degree. If you slid at the end though, it just looks bad.

If you use it as an excuse you will not have good results, however if your illness lead to an uplifting experience then yes mention it. How detailed you want to be is up to you.

I don't know what it is, but lately people seem to really misunderstand the statement of purpose. It's there to explain why you want to go to grad school and what you want to get out of it. It is not supposed to be an essay explaining away weak spots in your application.

No good will come of mentioning mental illness in your statement. It would be a red flag to any reviewer and they might reject your application immediately. It conjures up recent news reports and would make any reviewer apprehensive about accepting you.

If you did need to explain these grades later on in some interview or something then it would be better to use family issues as a reason. The interviewer shouldn't probe further.

Here's some more guidelines on writing a statement of purpose:

http://faculty.unlv.edu/img/img/workshops/Presentation%20on%20Statement%20of%20Purpose%209%20David%20and%20Jenna%20Nov%205.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
Vanadium 50 said:
I don't know what it is, but lately people seem to really misunderstand the statement of purpose. It's there to explain why you want to go to grad school and what you want to get out of it. It is not supposed to be an essay explaining away weak spots in your application.

Some of the schools to which I'm applying specifically request a document that describes
an applicant's

- Reasons for applying
- Previous academic background
- Research interests
- Strengths that would not otherwise appear in the application
- Explanations for any weaknesses in the application

Maybe this document isn't a statement of purpose; I could be wrong.

If they ask, one should answer, but this should not be the dominant focus of the document.

Related to Mentioning Mental Illness in a Statement of Purpose for Grad. School

1. Can mentioning a mental illness in my statement of purpose affect my chances of getting into grad school?

The answer to this question may vary depending on the specific school and program. Some schools may view mentioning a mental illness as a sign of strength and resilience, while others may view it as a potential hindrance to your academic success. It is important to research the school's policies and consider the potential impact before deciding whether or not to mention your mental illness in your statement of purpose.

2. Should I disclose my specific diagnosis in my statement of purpose?

It is ultimately up to your personal discretion whether or not to disclose your specific diagnosis in your statement of purpose. If you feel that it is relevant to your academic journey and future goals, you may choose to mention it. However, it is not necessary to disclose this information if you are uncomfortable with it or do not see it as relevant to your graduate studies.

3. How can I mention my mental illness in a positive way in my statement of purpose?

One approach to mentioning your mental illness in a positive way is to focus on how it has shaped you into a stronger and more resilient individual. You can also highlight any coping strategies or accommodations that have helped you succeed in your academic and personal life. It is important to avoid using language that may be perceived as negative or self-pitying.

4. Is it necessary to mention my mental illness in my statement of purpose?

No, it is not necessary to mention your mental illness in your statement of purpose. Your statement of purpose should primarily focus on your academic and professional goals and how the graduate program can help you achieve them. If your mental illness is not relevant to these goals, it is not necessary to mention it.

5. Will mentioning my mental illness in my statement of purpose be seen as a weakness?

Again, this can vary depending on the school and program. However, it is important to remember that mental illness does not define you as a person or your potential as a graduate student. If you choose to mention your mental illness, it is important to frame it in a positive light and highlight the strengths and skills you have developed as a result of managing your illness.