Metal Tubing Strength and Weight Comparison Chart?

In summary, the conversation discusses building a motorcycle lift table and the desire for a chart to compare tubing materials for strength and weight. The use of Machinery's Handbook is suggested, but it is noted that aluminum may not always be a suitable substitute due to its higher deflection rate compared to steel. It is recommended to sketch out the design and seek guidance in finding the appropriate tables and resources to ensure safety.
Mucci
I'll preface this with saying I'm an Industrial Designer, not an engineer. I also build workshop furniture as a hobby, which this question is in reference to.

I'm building a motorcycle lift table. I'm curious, is there a chart that compares things like tubing material, size, strength and weight?

i.e. If I wanted to replace a steel tube frame with aluminum I could use this chart to figure out what diam/wall tube I would need to be comparable in strength and if there would be any weight savings in doing so.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Machinery's Handbook.

Likes billy_joule
Depending on the grade of steel versus aluminum , some aluminum tubes of the same dimensions as steel tubes will have the same yield strength but with a much lighter weight. But the aluminum will deflect or deform three times greater than steel, which often ( but certainly not always) rules it out as a substitute.

With a motorcycle lift, you will have tubes that will experience a variety of stresses, including bending, shear, and even torque, which are all separate design parameters. You might be able to find tables for each individual design parameter, but it will be come frustrating quickly trying to cross reference all the tables to make sure your table is safe. I would recommend sketching it out and posting here so that we can point you to the correct tables/resources to make sure your table doesn't collapse.

What is the purpose of a metal tubing strength and weight comparison chart?

A metal tubing strength and weight comparison chart is used to compare the strength and weight of different types of metal tubing. This information is helpful for engineers and designers in determining the best type of tubing to use for a specific application.

How is the strength of metal tubing measured?

The strength of metal tubing is typically measured by its tensile strength, which is the maximum amount of stress a material can withstand before breaking. This is usually expressed in pounds per square inch (psi) or megapascals (MPa).

What factors affect the strength and weight of metal tubing?

The strength and weight of metal tubing can be affected by a variety of factors, such as the type of metal used, the thickness of the tubing, and the manufacturing process. Additionally, the design and shape of the tubing can also impact its strength and weight.

How do different types of metal tubing compare in terms of strength and weight?

Different types of metal tubing have varying levels of strength and weight. For example, steel tubing is generally stronger and heavier than aluminum tubing. However, aluminum tubing is lighter and more corrosion-resistant than steel tubing. It is important to consider the specific needs of the application when comparing different types of metal tubing.

How can a metal tubing strength and weight comparison chart be beneficial?

A metal tubing strength and weight comparison chart can be beneficial in several ways. It can help engineers and designers make informed decisions about which type of tubing to use for a specific application. It can also save time and resources by providing a quick reference for comparing the properties of different types of metal tubing.