Metals: Understand Nickel Electrons & Nuclei

In summary, nickel has an atomic number of 28 and 30 neutrons in its nucleus. It has 2 valence electrons and plays a crucial role in its chemical properties. Its electron configuration allows it to have multiple oxidation states and form various compounds, making it a versatile element in industrial and technological applications. The nucleus of nickel also contributes to its strength and durability due to its high atomic mass.
edpell
Can you point me to a good reference on metals. I want to understand for a metal like nickel with 28 electrons how many are free to move in the metal and how many are bound to the nuclei? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
edpell said:
Can you point me to a good reference on metals. I want to understand for a metal like nickel with 28 electrons how many are free to move in the metal and how many are bound to the nuclei? Thanks.

Something like this requires a band-structure calculation, at least for a standard band metal.

Zz.

Related to Metals: Understand Nickel Electrons & Nuclei

1. What is the atomic structure of nickel?

Nickel has an atomic number of 28, meaning it has 28 protons and 28 electrons. It also has 30 neutrons in its nucleus.

2. How many valence electrons does nickel have?

Nickel has 2 valence electrons in its outermost energy level. This makes it a transition metal.

3. What is the role of electrons in nickel?

Electrons in nickel are responsible for its chemical properties, such as its ability to form compounds and conduct electricity. They also determine its reactivity and bonding with other elements.

4. What is the significance of nickel's electron configuration?

Nickel's electron configuration (1s2 2s2 2p6 3s2 3p6 3d8 4s2) allows it to have multiple oxidation states and form various compounds, making it a versatile element in industrial and technological applications.

5. How does the nucleus of nickel contribute to its properties?

The nucleus of nickel contains 28 protons and 30 neutrons, giving it a relatively high atomic mass. This makes it a dense and stable element, which contributes to its strength and durability in applications such as metal alloys.