Meteorite Identification (xkcd, funny)

There is no "no" arrow.In summary, the xkcd comic features a flowchart for identifying meteorites, with a humorous twist at the end. The flowchart is provided in the source link and includes a node that points to "Not a meteorite" if the answer to "Did someone see it fall?" is "Yes".
collinsmark
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Today's xkcd:

Meteorite[/PLAIN] Identification
meteorite_identification.png

[Source: http://www.xkcd.com/1723/]

Clicking on the image gives you a link to an actual flowchart:

Self-Test Check-List
{image does not support hot-linking, so I removed direct link to flowchart. Click on source to get there.}
[Source: http://meteorites.wustl.edu/check-list.htm]

Note that the node, "Did someone see it fall," "Yes" points to "Not a meteorite." This is not a mistake. Ha! o0) :biggrin:

[Edit: the actual flowchart image might not display correctly in this thread, but if you click on the xkcd image or the provided source link, you can get to it that way.]

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Hoophy, 1oldman2, DennisN and 5 others
Physics news on Phys.org
collinsmark said:
Note that the node, "Did someone see it fall," "Yes" points to "Not a meteorite."
And there is no "no" answer.

Likes collinsmark
mfb said:
And there is no "no" answer.

o_O Where at? I don't see an optional 'no' arrow for that question.

Likes Fervent Freyja
Fervent Freyja said:
o_O Where at? I don't see an optional 'no' arrow for that question.
That's what I meant. From "Did someone see it fall?", there is just an outgoing "yes" answer.

Likes Fervent Freyja

1. How can I tell if a rock is a meteorite?

There are a few key characteristics to look for when identifying a meteorite. First, most meteorites have a dark, often black, exterior due to their time spent in space and exposure to high temperatures. They may also have a rough and pitted texture called regmaglypts. Additionally, meteorites are often attracted to magnets due to their high iron content. Finally, if possible, it's best to consult with an expert or have the rock tested to confirm its identity.

2. What is the difference between a meteorite, meteor, and meteoroid?

A meteoroid is a small piece of debris in space, typically a few millimeters to a meter in size. When a meteoroid enters Earth's atmosphere, it becomes a meteor, also known as a shooting star. If the meteoroid survives its journey through the atmosphere and lands on Earth's surface, it is then considered a meteorite.

3. Where do most meteorites come from?

The majority of meteorites come from the asteroid belt between Mars and Jupiter. However, some meteorites also come from the Moon, Mars, and other planets in our solar system.

4. How old are meteorites?

Most meteorites are around 4.6 billion years old, which is the approximate age of our solar system. They are some of the oldest objects we can study and provide valuable insights into the formation and evolution of our solar system.

5. Can meteorites be valuable?

Yes, some meteorites can be quite valuable, especially if they are rare or have a unique composition. Some meteorites have sold for thousands or even millions of dollars. However, their value also depends on factors such as condition and size, and it's important to be cautious when purchasing or selling meteorites to avoid scams.