Method for experimental results analysis

In summary, the conversation is about conducting an experiment with 3 variables (x1, x2, x3) and obtaining 2 observation results (y1, y2). The speaker is trying to find a better way to analyze the results and create a unified function for the variables. They mention the use of least squares fit and linear equations to solve for the parameters. Suggestions are given for representing the results on a graph, such as a 3D graph or a 3D bar graph. The speaker is encouraged to explore different programs that can create 3D graphs and share their findings.
miraboreasu
Hello guys, I have conducted an experiment and got some results.
I have 3 variables to vary, for example, five x1, five x2, and two x3
and 2 observation results, like y1, y2
I already make y1 y2 and x1 x2 x3 dimensionless
since plot is 2D, what I am doing now is just plot when x3=1, x2=1, plot the first y1(x1), x3=1, x2=2, plot the second y1(x1), etc
the same plots for y2

I want to know if is there a better way to analyze the results, for example, what method I should learn to create a function y1=(x1,x2,x3)?

Physics news on Phys.org
Analysis will depend on what mathematical relationship you are expecting. Once you nominate the possible functions and parameters, you can solve for those parameters using a least squares fit.

Likes topsquark
Baluncore said:
Analysis will depend on what mathematical relationship you are expecting. Once you nominate the possible functions and parameters, you can solve for those parameters using a least squares fit.
Thanks, sir, but I didn't quite understand, I have multi varying, and I want to create a unified function for them.

What I am thinking is y1= alpha x1+beta x1+gamma x1. But I want to know more details

Last edited:
I'm not real sure what your desired end result is, but if you are trying to get 3 variables and 1 or 2 results on a single graph, here is one approach:

1) A surface represented as a 3D graph with a variable on each axis
2) the dependent variable(s) (y1, y2) as the color of the surface
3) the color could be a mix to show the various mixes of y1, y2; or maybe color and texture... hmm... even shading lines, say density or line width in one axis for y1 and in a cross direction for y2.

A 3D bar graph is another possible representation which may be better if you need to print the result, rather than interactively display it on-screen.

It has been decades, but I seem to recall that programs like Microsoft Office can show 3D graphs. Of course there are many free Office-type programs now available.

Please let us know what you come up with. We like to learn too!

Cheers,
Tom

Likes miraboreasu and topsquark

What is the purpose of a method for experimental results analysis?

The purpose of a method for experimental results analysis is to systematically and objectively analyze and interpret the data collected from an experiment. This allows for the identification of patterns, trends, and relationships within the data, which can then be used to draw conclusions and make inferences.

What are the steps involved in a method for experimental results analysis?

The steps involved in a method for experimental results analysis typically include data collection, data organization and cleaning, data exploration, statistical analysis, and interpretation of results. These steps may vary depending on the specific experiment and research question.

What statistical techniques are commonly used in a method for experimental results analysis?

Some common statistical techniques used in a method for experimental results analysis include descriptive statistics (such as mean, median, and standard deviation), inferential statistics (such as t-tests and ANOVA), and correlation and regression analysis. The specific techniques used will depend on the type of data and research question.

Why is it important to have a well-defined method for experimental results analysis?

A well-defined method for experimental results analysis is important because it ensures that the data is analyzed in a systematic and unbiased manner. This helps to minimize errors and increases the reliability and validity of the results. It also allows for the replication of the analysis by other researchers.

How can the results of an experimental analysis be effectively communicated?

The results of an experimental analysis can be effectively communicated through various means, such as tables, graphs, and written or oral presentations. It is important to choose the most appropriate method of communication based on the audience and the complexity of the results. Additionally, clear and concise explanations should be provided to aid in the understanding of the results.