Methods for estimating embedding dimension

• A
  • Thread starter Omikron123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dimension
In summary, there are several methods that can be used to estimate the embedding dimension for the reconstruction of the Lorenz system using Takens theorem. These include mutual information, false nearest neighbors with different thresholds, correlation dimension, and Cao's method. It is also suggested to refer to other research papers for additional methods and compare their results with FNN.
Omikron123
TL;DR Summary
Asking for methods else from False nearest neighbor to estimate embedding dimension.
Say that I want to reconstruct the Lorenz system only using one of the original three variables using Takens theorem. What methods can I use to estimate the embedding dimension else from the False nearest Neighbor method (FNN)? The reason I wonder is because I want to compare the accuracy of FNN with some other methods.

Thanks in advance!

Mathematics news on Phys.org

Hi there,

There are a few other methods that you can use to estimate the embedding dimension for the reconstruction of the Lorenz system using Takens theorem. Some common methods include:

1. Mutual Information: This method looks at the relationship between the original variable and its delayed versions. By finding the value of the embedding dimension that maximizes the mutual information, you can estimate the optimal embedding dimension.

2. False nearest neighbors (FNN) with different thresholds: Instead of using just one threshold for FNN, you can try using multiple thresholds and see how the results vary. This can give you a better understanding of the optimal embedding dimension.

3. Correlation dimension: This method looks at the fractal dimension of the reconstructed attractor and can be used to estimate the embedding dimension. It is based on the idea that the embedding dimension should be equal to the correlation dimension.

4. Cao's method: This method uses the idea of phase space reconstruction and evaluates the embedding dimension based on the average mutual information between neighboring points in the reconstructed phase space.

I would also recommend checking out some other research papers on this topic to see if there are any other methods that have been used and compare their results with FNN.

I hope this helps and good luck with your research!

1. What is embedding dimension and why is it important in scientific research?

Embedding dimension is a measure of the number of variables or dimensions needed to accurately represent a complex system or data set. It is an important concept in scientific research because it helps us understand the underlying structure and dynamics of a system, and can aid in predicting future behavior.

2. What are some common methods for estimating embedding dimension?

Some common methods for estimating embedding dimension include the False Nearest Neighbors (FNN) method, the Mutual Information (MI) method, and the Correlation Dimension (CD) method. These methods use different mathematical techniques to analyze the data and determine the appropriate embedding dimension.

3. How do these methods differ from each other?

The FNN method uses the concept of phase space reconstruction to estimate the embedding dimension, while the MI method calculates the amount of information shared between different variables in the data set. The CD method, on the other hand, looks at the scaling behavior of the data to determine the appropriate embedding dimension.

4. What are some potential challenges or limitations of using these methods?

One potential challenge is that these methods may not work well for data sets with a high level of noise or when the data is highly nonlinear. Additionally, the choice of method may also depend on the specific characteristics of the data set, and different methods may yield different results.

5. How can scientists determine which method is most suitable for their data set?

It is important for scientists to carefully consider the characteristics of their data set, such as the level of noise and nonlinearity, before choosing a method for estimating embedding dimension. They may also consider using multiple methods and comparing the results to determine the most suitable approach for their specific data set.