What Is the Most Energy-Efficient Method to Produce High-Pressure Steam?

• Thread starter tikipu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Steam
in summary, the cheapest and most efficient way to create steam at high pressure is to use electricity to power a mechanical device that uses regular water to create steam.
tikipu
Hi all!
i'm trying to figure out what method would be the cheapest to create steam at high pressure with.
ideally, the source of energy for the process would be electricity, as the facility is not intended to have it's own power generation capabilities.
the mechanical use of the steam will be to inflate a piston chamber in a cylinder.

the water used for the steam are regular fresh water (not sea water or pure water).
the steam needs to be used at 70atm approximately.
the steam supply doesn't have to be completely continuous, but it needs to be pretty continuous. it doesn't have to be just one single machine producing the steam. I'm guessing that helps deliver a continuous supply.

the system needs to provide very a high volume of steam.
around 100-200 cubic meters per hour, at 70atm.
(from what i understand, it takes around 37 liters of water to be at 287c to get 1m3 of steam at 70atm)

whether the steam is saturated or not does not matter for the intended use, so whichever is better, that's what we'll go with.

so, given these... givens,
what method do you think should be the best in terms of power consumption, and what would say that this power consumption be?

thanks in advance for any help!
tikipu.
:-)

Engineering news on Phys.org
This question is why the field of engineering was converted from a trade to a profession. You need to hire a professional engineer to design this for you. We can't do it here.

with all due respect, I'm not asking for someone to hand me a complete design ready for use.
for that i WILL hire an engineer.
what I'm asking for is some guidance.
surely an engineer familiar with steam mechanics can name a method he thinks is good for high volume high pressure.

is that not what this forum is for?
no need to chop my head off.
:-(

Last edited:
Your first problem is your water at 70 bar unless your feed water is pretty pure you are going to corrode the hell out of your boiler.

Can I ask what this machine is for? I'm not able to help you in any meaningful way with your steam problem but maybe there's a different, less complicated, way to achieve what you want (it sounds like you're just moving a piston).

Jobrag said:
Your first problem is your water at 70 bar unless your feed water is pretty pure you are going to corrode the hell out of your boiler.
And you have to spend $$$$$ for feedwater additives if you don't want to ruin your boiler.

hi all!
thanks for you replies!

as for the feedwater corroding the boiler, since it's a closed system, pure (enough) water can be used. i guess it's much cheaper to supply pure water rather than to cause damage to boilers.

as for nihilist's question, indeed the steam is used to drive the piston, and that is used to transfer the pressure to another gas or liquid. steam is used for a few more ways in the facility, so i want to check the cost of using it to pressurize other fluids/gasses as well.

1. What is steam and how is it created?

Steam is a vaporized form of water and is created when water undergoes a phase change from liquid to gas. This can be achieved by heating water to its boiling point, which is 100°C (212°F) at sea level, and applying enough pressure to prevent the water from boiling off into the atmosphere. This process is known as vaporization or boiling, and it results in the formation of steam.

2. What are the different methods of creating steam?

The most common methods of creating steam are through the use of boilers, steam generators, and geothermal power plants. Boilers use a heat source, such as fossil fuels or nuclear energy, to heat water and produce steam. Steam generators work similarly to boilers but are more efficient and are commonly used in power plants. Geothermal power plants use the Earth's natural heat to create steam by pumping water into hot underground rocks.

3. How is the quality of steam determined?

The quality of steam is determined by its level of saturation or the amount of water vapor present in the steam. This is often measured by the steam's dryness fraction, which is the ratio of the mass of dry steam to the total mass of steam. The higher the dryness fraction, the higher the quality of steam.

4. What are the applications of steam?

Steam has a wide range of applications, including heating and cooling systems, electricity production, industrial processes, and transportation. It is also used for cooking, cleaning, and sterilization in the food and medical industries. Additionally, steam is crucial in powering steam engines, which were used in early forms of transportation such as trains and boats.

5. How is steam utilized in renewable energy production?

Steam is an essential component in renewable energy production, particularly in geothermal and solar power plants. In geothermal plants, steam is used to power turbines and generate electricity, while in solar power plants, steam is created through the use of solar collectors and then used to drive turbines. Furthermore, steam can also be used in biomass and waste-to-energy plants to produce renewable energy.