Metrics & Topologies: Do Different Metrics Induce Different Topologies?

• I
  • Thread starter kent davidge
  • Start date
In summary: So, no, two different metrics do not always induce different topologies.In summary, two different metrics do not necessarily always induce two different topologies. This can be seen through the example of a Euclidean space and a scaled version of its metric, which both define the same topology. Additionally, metrics and coordinate systems are two separate concepts and do not necessarily correspond to each other. Therefore, it is not always possible to determine the metric being used just by looking at the behavior of functions.
kent davidge
I was thinking about how different metrics induces different topologies and I was wondering if two different metrics always induces two different topologies.

Does anyone know the answer?

Physics news on Phys.org
kent davidge said:
I was thinking about how different metrics induces different topologies and I was wondering if two different metrics always induces two different topologies.

The answer is no. Simple example: If ##d(.\; , \;.)## is a metric, so is ##c \cdot d(.\; , \;.)##. In a Euclidean space, these define the same topologies. There is the notion of equivalent metrics.

fresh_42 said:
The answer is no. Simple example: If ##d(.\; , \;.)## is a metric, so is ##c \cdot d(.\; , \;.)##. In a Euclidean space, these define the same topologies. There is the notion of equivalent metrics.
Oh, good counter-example. I was thinking of ##\mathbb{S}^1## and ##\mathbb{R}^2##. I would argue that one cannot be made equal to the other because we cannot make the metric of one equal to the metric of the other.

So the argument would be something like: if one cannot make the metrics of two topological spaces equal (or equivalent) then these two topological spaces cannot be made equal, but the converse is not true as by your counter-example.

If you already start with two different sets ##X##, what does it mean to have equal topologies? At least the set should be the same before we start to discuss its structure.

fresh_42 said:
If you already start with two different sets ##X##, what does it mean to have equal topologies?
Oh yea, this is a good point. Let'me give a concrete example of what I'm thinking of. Suppose we have ##\mathbb{R}^2## with the euclidean metric (identity matrix) and the metric induced by the polar coordinate system (components ##1## and ##r^2##). These two metrics together with ##\mathbb{R}^2## define two different topological spaces.

Can we tell what metric is being used just by looking at the behaviour of functions?

kent davidge said:
Oh yea, this is a good point. Let'me give a concrete example of what I'm thinking of. Suppose we have ##\mathbb{R}^2## with the euclidean metric (identity matrix) and the metric induced by the polar coordinate system (components ##1## and ##r^2##). These two metrics together with ##\mathbb{R}^2## define two different topological spaces.

Can we tell what metric is being used just by looking at the behaviour of functions?
They don't. They are simple coordinate systems, which has nothing to do with neither the metric nor the topology. The metric is the Euclidean distance in both cases, no matter how we represent points. A topology is a collection ##\mathcal{C}## of sets with some properties as ##X,\emptyset \in \mathcal{C}## etc. and we call the pair ##(X,\mathcal{C})## a topology. So to have two different topologies, we can either consider different sets ##X## or different collections ##\mathcal{C}##. The latter means, we have an element (open set) in one collection which isn't part of the other. How should your metric(s) above define different open sets?

fresh_42 said:
They are simple coordinate systems
but coordinate systems induces a metric, don't they?

A coordinate system is a way to identify points in a set, usually a direct product of some other sets. A metric is a distance between two of those points. These are two different concepts. E.g. we can use ##e_1=(1,0)## and ##e_2=(0,1)## as coordinates in ##\mathbb{Z}_2 \times \mathbb{Z}_3## which allows us to identify arbitrary points ##(a,b)=a \cdot e_1 + b \cdot e_2## by how many times our units ##e_i## have to be taken in the corresponding direction. There is no metric at all.

If on the other hand we have a metric, then it has to be said what the distance between two points is. If we describe points by Cartesian coordinates, we get a different formula as if we defined them by polar coordinates. That does change the formula, not the distance. Of course there are also different ways to define distances, e.g. by the discrete metric, and we will again get a different formula.

With a coordinate system we deliberately choose a kind of unit per direction, resp. component. Sometimes these units can also be used to define a metric, and sometimes not. So both are different concepts. A metric is a distance. That's it. The work starts, if we want to define this distance. It leads automatically to the question, how we define the points. If both can be done with the same ruler, fine, but that doesn't have to be.

Likes kent davidge
kent davidge said:
but coordinate systems induces a metric, don't they?
No, as my example of finite sets illustrates.

Likes kent davidge
kent davidge said:

The same topological surface given different shapes has different metrics. For instance a sphere and an ellipsoid have the same topology but different shapes. In general if you start with a surface and continuously deform it in space, the topology is preserved while the metric changes. If you follow two points through the deformation their distance will change but open sets will be warped into open sets.

Likes kent davidge

1. What are metrics and topologies?

Metrics refer to a set of mathematical rules used to measure the distance between two points in a space. Topology, on the other hand, is the study of the properties of a space that are preserved under continuous deformations, such as stretching or bending.

2. How do metrics and topologies relate to each other?

Metric spaces are used to define topological spaces, as the metric determines the open sets and therefore the topology of the space. Different metrics can induce different topologies, meaning that the same underlying space can have different properties depending on the metric used.

3. Why do different metrics induce different topologies?

Metrics are defined by a set of rules, and different sets of rules can result in different measurements and ultimately different topologies. For example, the Euclidean metric measures the straight-line distance between two points, while the Manhattan metric measures the distance traveled along right angles, resulting in different topologies for the same space.

4. What are some examples of different metrics inducing different topologies?

Some examples include the Euclidean metric and the Manhattan metric mentioned above, as well as the discrete metric, which only assigns a distance of 0 or 1 between points, and the Chebyshev metric, which measures the maximum difference between any two coordinates of the points.

5. How are metrics and topologies used in real-world applications?

Metrics and topologies are used in a variety of fields, including physics, engineering, computer science, and economics, to study and understand the properties of different spaces. They are also used in data analysis and machine learning to measure and compare data points and to identify patterns and relationships between them.