Micro laser welding, the picture is a crack?

In summary, Rogelio H. Aguirre, a grad student from the University of Waterloo, is working on fabricating a pressure and temperature sensor with micro laser welding suppliers. Despite his experience with welding, he is facing leak issues at 300 psi and is unsure if the issue is in the welding line or the center of the device. He has attached microscope images and is seeking the expertise of others to identify any cracks. One possible method for detecting small cracks is to use a dye dissolved in solvent and observe it under a microscope. The magnification of the images is not specified.
RogelioAguirre
Hi guys,

My name is Rogelio H. Aguirre, a grad student from the University of Waterloo working on MEMS sensors. Currently, I am working with micro laser welding suppliers to fabricate the packaging of a pressure and a temperature sensor. I have some experience on weldings, but not in micro laser one. I am welding a TO Header Substrate made of KOVAR with a Steel case. The device should resist a high pressure of 600 psi; however ,I have some leak issues on the assembly at 300 psi approx. I am not sure if the leak is on the welding line, for me, looks like is in the center of the device. To check this, I check the sample using a microscope with a MPlan APO 20 lens, here is where I need your expertise guys. I am attaching a file with 4 pictures, two are from the microscope, do the images attached shows a fracture on the welding line? According to my knowledge is not a crack, but I want to check with you guys.

Thanks a lot

Rogelio

Attachments

• Welding forum.pdf
    221.7 KB · Views: 228
The identification of cracks and porous welds can be difficult by image alone.
I think your device is too small for electro-magnetic or ultrasonic crack detection methods.

One method used for small cracks is to apply a dye dissolved in a solvent to the weld. The liquid will travel by capillary action into cracks, then as the solvent evaporates the dye will be precipitated at the edge of the crack. You can then use your microscope to advantage. There are many different dye systems available as “Crack Detection” Kits.

Just for perspective, about what is the magnification in the images? If it is welded, there are most likely cracks.

1. What is micro laser welding?

Micro laser welding is a highly precise welding technique that uses a laser beam to join small and delicate parts together. It is commonly used in industries such as electronics, medical devices, and aerospace.

2. How does micro laser welding work?

During micro laser welding, a focused laser beam is directed onto the parts to be joined. The intense heat of the laser causes the materials to melt and fuse together, forming a strong bond. The laser beam is controlled by a computer and can be adjusted to create a weld as small as 0.002 inches in diameter.

3. What are the advantages of using micro laser welding?

Micro laser welding offers several advantages over traditional welding methods. It is a non-contact process, meaning that the laser does not physically touch the materials, reducing the risk of damage. It also allows for precise control and minimal heat input, resulting in a smaller heat-affected zone and less distortion of the materials. Additionally, it can be used to weld dissimilar materials, making it a versatile option for joining different types of materials.

4. Can micro laser welding fix cracks?

Yes, micro laser welding can be used to repair cracks in materials. The laser beam can be precisely directed onto the crack, melting the edges and filling in the gap to create a strong bond. However, the success of the repair will depend on the size and location of the crack, as well as the type of material being welded. It is important to consult with a professional to determine the best approach for repairing a crack using micro laser welding.

5. Is micro laser welding safe?

Micro laser welding is generally considered a safe welding method when performed by trained professionals. However, as with any welding process, there are potential hazards such as exposure to the laser beam and fumes. Safety precautions, such as wearing protective gear and ensuring proper ventilation, should always be taken when using micro laser welding. It is also important to follow manufacturer instructions and receive proper training before using this technique.