Micro Sound Waves: Can 1 Hear What Only Another Can?

In summary: Hz signal into their ear will cause them to hear the radio more strongly than if the same signal was sent directly at their ear.
LightningInAJar
TL;DR Summary
Are there sound waves small enough that they can be focused like a laser?
Are there soundwaves so tightly packed that you could have two people standing next to one another and fire sound at a distance directly into one person's ear as that only that person hears it?

Physics news on Phys.org
To take some ballpark figures, a dish 1m in diameter using a frequency of 30kHz will, by my rough mental arithmetic, produce a 1 degree beamwidth. This would separate two people 1m apart at a distance of 100m. The wavelength will be about 1cm. Notice however that such high frequencies do not propagate very well in air.

The calculation by tech99 is of course correct for linear waves, which is what we normally think about. These kinds of calculations also apply to electromagnetic waves and dish antennas.

However, I have been to museums that use the 'audio spotlight', so a person standing in front of an exhibit hears the audio track, and a person a few feet away doesn't hear it at all. It really confused me the first time I experienced it, and I couldn't figure out how it worked. I later learned that this technology is based on nonlinear acoustics. I believe it transmits an ultrasonic signal that has been amplitude-modulated by the audio track, and through nonlinearities in the air a fraction of the energy is converted to audio frequencies. Here is an abstract that gives the basic idea
https://asa.scitation.org/doi/pdf/10.1121/1.389414

jason

• Informative
Likes DaveE
jasonRF said:
The calculation by tech99 is of course correct for linear waves, which is what we normally think about. These kinds of calculations also apply to electromagnetic waves and dish antennas.

However, I have been to museums that use the 'audio spotlight', so a person standing in front of an exhibit hears the audio track, and a person a few feet away doesn't hear it at all. It really confused me the first time I experienced it, and I couldn't figure out how it worked. I later learned that this technology is based on nonlinear acoustics. I believe it transmits an ultrasonic signal that has been amplitude-modulated by the audio track, and through nonlinearities in the air a fraction of the energy is converted to audio frequencies. Here is an abstract that gives the basic idea
https://asa.scitation.org/doi/pdf/10.1121/1.389414

jason
From that abstract: "A finite amplitude ultrasound wave that can be amplitude modulated..."

That's smart, the infinite amplitude waves are problematic in practice, LOL.

• Haha
Likes DaveC426913 and jasonRF
DaveE said:
From that abstract: "A finite amplitude ultrasound wave that can be amplitude modulated..."

That's smart, the infinite amplitude waves are problematic in practice, LOL.
Love this comment!

But I feel like I should add some context for the OP given this is an Intermediate level (as opposed to advanced level) post

LightningInAJar:
in case you aren't aware, the fundamental equations for propagation of sound through a fluid are nonlinear. When we linearize the equations about some configuration we obtain the typical wave equation you have probably seen in a few contexts. The physics described by this linearized model doesn't formally depend at at all on the wave amplitude, but it is only valid if the amplitude is very small (small enough that the nonlinear terms can be neglected). Some authors may even write 'infinitesimal', although that is not a rigorous term. The 'finite amplitude' label mentioned to in the abstract refers to the case where the amplitude is large enough that the linearization is not valid, and a nonlinear model is required that predicts amplitude-dependent physics. I have seen other authors use this same jargon, but I don't know how standard it is.

By the way, if you aren't familiar with linearizing systems of partial differential equations (as is done for the problem at hand), notionally it not so different than using a linear approximation of a function as learned in freshman calculus. The linear approximation near a point is a line tangent to the function at that point. It is valid near the tangent point, and the further a point on the line is from the tangent point, the worse the approximation is. For large enough deviations the linear approximation my be inadequate and you may need a nonlinear model (such as a quadratic) to obtain the desired accuracy.

jason

What device can do this spotlight type audio? And can one send this audio straight up until it disburses enough that it can be heard in all directions, but maybe the source of the audio would be tough to track down?

LightningInAJar said:
What device can do this spotlight type audio?
I had a pair of 1.4m (iirc) microwave comms dishes fixed to my lab walls. They were very effective in producing the sort of effect that the OP is describing. Not a distant 'spotlight' effect but nonetheless, a strongly localised sound.

Putting a quiet sound source (a transistor radio played quietly) at the focus of one dish produced a very localised region around the focus of the other dish where it could be heard. (+/- the width of your head) You get similar set-ups in Science parks but usually over a longer path. My demo was very 'near field' and seemed to work better in that respect than I have heard on bigger equipment.
Note - this was with audio wavelengths and I think one reason it was so good was the audio bandwidth involved (a couple of octaves and some very squeaky sounds.
I sometimes used to hear kids whispering things way across the room which I was not meant to hear!

1. What are micro sound waves?

Micro sound waves are sound waves that have a frequency higher than the audible range for humans, which is typically considered to be between 20 Hz to 20,000 Hz. These waves are usually in the range of 1 MHz to 1 GHz.

2. How are micro sound waves produced?

Micro sound waves can be produced through various methods, such as using specialized equipment like ultrasonic transducers, or through natural processes like the vibrations of atoms and molecules. They can also be created through the manipulation of sound waves using technology.

3. Can humans hear micro sound waves?

No, humans cannot hear micro sound waves as they are outside of our audible range. However, some animals, such as dolphins and bats, have the ability to hear these waves and use them for communication and navigation.

4. How are micro sound waves used in science?

Micro sound waves have a variety of uses in science, including medical imaging, non-destructive testing, and industrial cleaning. They are also used in ultrasonic sensors and in the study of acoustics and sound propagation.

5. Can one person hear micro sound waves while another cannot?

Yes, it is possible for one person to hear micro sound waves while another cannot. This can be due to differences in hearing abilities or exposure to different levels of sound. Additionally, some individuals may have a condition called hyperacusis, which causes increased sensitivity to sound and may allow them to hear micro sound waves that others cannot.