Microbes & Methane: Are Microbes "Encased" in Gases?

In summary, the conversation discussed the relationship between microbes and methane, and whether microbes can be propelled into the atmosphere by being surrounded by gas molecules. It also touched on the possibility of bacteria being present in fart bubbles and the role of microbe size and cell walls in their survival in the air. The conversation ended with a question about the individual's level of education or age.
moriah
I apologize. I didn't see any general chemistry categories, so I am posting my question here.
Microbes and methane are inextricable from one another. My question is this. Are microbes "encased" in gases like methane when they rise into the atmosphere? Surely microbes can become particulate in gases. Even though gas molecules are hundreds of times smaller than microbial cells, isn't it possible that each microbial cell be surrounded by hundreds of gas molecules, which is then responsible for propelling microbes high into the atmosphere?

• Haha
Likes OmCheeto
Physics news on Phys.org
My apologies for laughing, but reading your post led my mind back to one of the most delightfully funny things I've ever seen.

bacteria.and.farts.2022-09-07 at 3.38.05 PM.png

I'd wager there are lots of bacteria in those fart bubbles. Based on (google google google):

By: Laurie L. Dove | Updated: Jul 29, 2021​

But that begs the questions; "How big does a poop molecule have to be before you can smell it, and are bacteria bigger than that?"

• Haha
Likes dlgoff and BillTre
moriah said:
I apologize. I didn't see any general chemistry categories, so I am posting my question here.
Microbes and methane are inextricable from one another. My question is this. Are microbes "encased" in gases like methane when they rise into the atmosphere? Surely microbes can become particulate in gases. Even though gas molecules are hundreds of times smaller than microbial cells, isn't it possible that each microbial cell be surrounded by hundreds of gas molecules, which is then responsible for propelling microbes high into the atmosphere?
Earth Sciences/Chemistry; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aerosol .

Likes BillTre
moriah said:
There many, many, many kinds of microbes. Not all of them are associated with methane.
Some of them make methane, some don't. If they eat carbon dioxide and get energy from combining it with hydrogen, then they can make methane.

Any microbe in the air is going to be "encased" in gas molecules of some kind if it directly exposed to the atmosphere. If they started out "encased" in methane, the methane would diffuse away, unless it was bound in some way.
Like other small particles in the air they could be held aloft by Brownian motion and convection currents.

Many modern day microbes have a strong outer cell wall (distinct and much tougher thanteh fragile cell membrane. This protects from a lot of environmental challenges.

I would have put this thread in the biology section.

Likes Bystander
moriah said:
What level are you?can I ask? In terms of school, uni, age.

1. What are microbes and how do they relate to methane?

Microbes are microscopic organisms that can be found in various environments, including the Earth's atmosphere. Some types of microbes are capable of producing methane gas through a process called methanogenesis.

2. How are microbes "encased" in gases?

Microbes can be "encased" in gases when they are trapped within pockets or layers of gas, such as methane. This can occur in environments like permafrost, where methane is produced by microbes and then trapped in the frozen soil.

3. Can microbes survive in methane gas?

Yes, there are some types of microbes that can survive and thrive in methane gas. These microbes are known as methanotrophs and they use methane as a source of energy to carry out their metabolic processes.

4. What is the role of microbes in the methane cycle?

Microbes play a crucial role in the methane cycle by producing and consuming methane. Methanogens produce methane as a byproduct of their metabolism, while methanotrophs consume methane as a source of energy. This helps to regulate the levels of methane in the atmosphere.

5. How do microbes impact the environment and climate?

The production and consumption of methane by microbes can have significant impacts on the environment and climate. Methane is a potent greenhouse gas, so the activity of microbes can contribute to climate change. However, methane is also a valuable energy source, so the use of methanotrophs to convert methane into usable energy can have positive environmental impacts.