How Can You Measure Real Experimental Magnification in a Microscope?

• Thread starter agentas
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Microscope
In summary: In this case, the measured magnification of 0.5 does not make sense because it is too low. Your teacher is correct in saying that this is the nominal magnification, but you need to use the calibration measurements to find the true experimental magnification.
agentas

Homework Statement

I had a lab. where ´the compound microscope was used.The microscope was equipped with 4X,10X,20X,40X,100X objectives and oculal 10X.First I had to calibrate my microscope using 1mm long calibrated graticule (divided in 100 grid lines-distance between two lines is 10 micrometres) for all those different magnification.I did this finding that for total magnification of 40 the ocular (also divided in 100 lines) distance in oculur is 5 mircometres:
for 100 - 2 micrometres
200 - 1 micrometre
400 - 0,5 micrometre
My question is how I can measure now real experimental magnification,because my teacher said what I have measured now is nominal magnification and real measured magnifications are different.Please help me I can not figure out.

Homework Equations

M(total)=m(objective) x m(ocular)
M=image/object

The Attempt at a Solution

if I divide 5 micrometres by 10 micrometres I will get 0,5 magnification.What does not make sense.I do not understand how to calculate experimental magnification.Please help!
if I divide

Physics news on Phys.org
5 micrometres by 10 micrometres I will get 0,5 magnification.What does not make sense.I do not understand how to calculate experimental magnification.Please help!To calculate the experimental magnification, you need to measure the size of an object and the size of its image through the microscope. Then, use the equation M = image/object to calculate the magnification.

5 micrometres by 10 micrometres I will get 0,5 magnification. This calculation is incorrect. To calculate the experimental magnification, you need to divide the size of the image seen through the microscope by the size of the actual object. This can be done by using a stage micrometer, which has known measurements, and comparing it to the image seen through the microscope. The equation for experimental magnification is M = size of image/size of object.

In this case, you can use the measurements from the stage micrometer and the measurements you obtained from your calibration to calculate the experimental magnifications for each objective. This will give you the true magnification for each objective, rather than just the nominal magnification. It is important to use the experimental magnification in your analysis and reporting of data, as it reflects the actual size of the objects being observed. I suggest discussing this further with your teacher to ensure you have a clear understanding of the concept and how to apply it in your lab work.

1. What is the difference between magnification and resolution in a microscope?

The magnification of a microscope refers to how much larger an image appears compared to the actual size of the object being viewed. Resolution, on the other hand, refers to the ability of the microscope to distinguish between two closely spaced objects. In simpler terms, magnification makes an object look bigger, while resolution makes it clearer and sharper.

2. What is the maximum magnification of a light microscope?

The maximum magnification of a light microscope is typically between 1000x and 2000x. This is because the wavelength of visible light limits the amount of magnification that can be achieved while still maintaining good resolution. To view smaller objects, more powerful microscopes such as electron microscopes are needed.

3. How do different objective lenses affect the magnification of a microscope?

The magnification of a microscope is determined by the combination of the eyepiece lens and the objective lens. The objective lens is responsible for the primary magnification, while the eyepiece lens further magnifies the image. Different objective lenses have different magnification powers, typically ranging from 4x to 100x. The total magnification is calculated by multiplying the magnification of the objective lens by the magnification of the eyepiece lens.

4. Can you adjust the magnification of a microscope?

Yes, the magnification of a microscope can be adjusted by changing the objective lens or the eyepiece lens. Most microscopes have multiple objective lenses that can be rotated into place to change the magnification. Some microscopes also have a zoom feature that allows for continuous adjustment of magnification.

5. What is the optimal magnification for viewing bacteria with a microscope?

The optimal magnification for viewing bacteria with a microscope is typically between 400x and 1000x. At this magnification, bacteria can be seen clearly while still maintaining good resolution. Higher magnifications may be necessary for more detailed studies of bacteria, such as observing their internal structures.