Why Did Microsoft Alter a Man's Race in Their Polish Ad?

In summary, a Microsoft online advertisement intended for use in Poland featured a black man being replaced with a white man. The ad also featured an Asian man, who appeared in both the Polish and stateside versions. A humorous animation was created from the two images, with a Canadian version added later. The Photoshop work on the original ad was criticized for being poorly done, with the Canadian version being praised for looking more natural. Some users pointed out that the ad was meant to appeal to the Polish market, while others found it amusing and shared similar Photoshop fails.
Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
ruh roh

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/08/26/microsofts-ad-in-poland-p_n_269366.html

A black man was replaced with a white man in a Microsoft online advertisement intended for use in Poland. An Asian man in the ad apparently made the cut, and appeared in both the Polish and stateside versions of the ad.

I couldn't resist making an animation from the 2 images.

d73d0819c4091c3dbc6b4f7febe024c3.gif

Now if I could just make the heads morph...

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The Canadian version

canada-1.jpg

Last edited:
Math Is Hard said:
I couldn't resist making an animation from the 2 images.

Maybe you should have resisted. All that's showing up is the same picture flashing on and off. :-p

Lol... cute.

hmm.. It seems to work in my Firefox browser.

Math Is Hard said:
hmm.. It seems to work in my Firefox browser.

That might be the problem; I'm on Safari.

The photoshop is so bad too!

MIH's picture looks more natural than the Polish picture.

Yes! I love it when they use Canadians in advertising.

Pinu7 said:
The photoshop is so bad too!
So funny that they didn't bother to change the hand.

MIH's picture looks more natural than the Polish picture.
That's because I spent more time on mine that the Microsoft artist did. :biggrin:

Hah! I didn't even notice the hand. That's wonderful!

The Canadian version is awesome. You need to add a cloud so he can be saying "Hey Buddy!"

I don't understand what the big deal is... I thought the point of advertising was to appeal to the area you're advertising in...

Related to Why Did Microsoft Alter a Man's Race in Their Polish Ad?

1. What is "Microsoft Photoshop head switch"?

"Microsoft Photoshop head switch" is a term used to describe the process of switching out a person's head in a photo using Microsoft Photoshop software. It involves cutting out the original head and replacing it with a different one from another photo.

2. How do you perform a head switch in Microsoft Photoshop?

To perform a head switch in Microsoft Photoshop, you first need to open both the photo with the original head and the photo with the desired head in the software. Then, using the selection tool, carefully cut out the original head from its photo. Next, paste the desired head onto the original photo and use the transform tool to adjust its size and position. Finally, use the blending and healing tools to blend the head seamlessly into the photo.

3. Can you perform a head switch on any photo?

Technically, yes, as long as you have access to the photos and Microsoft Photoshop software. However, the success of the head switch will depend on the quality and resolution of the photos, as well as the skills of the person performing the switch.

4. Is it ethical to perform a head switch in photos?

This is a subjective question and ultimately depends on the purpose and context of the photo. In some cases, a head switch may be seen as humorous or harmless, while in others it may be considered misleading or unethical. It is important to consider the impact and potential consequences of performing a head switch before doing so.

5. Are there any alternatives to using Microsoft Photoshop for head switches?

Yes, there are other photo editing software programs that offer similar capabilities to Microsoft Photoshop for performing head switches. Some popular alternatives include Adobe Photoshop, GIMP, and Corel PaintShop Pro. It is important to choose a software that best suits your needs and skill level.

Back