Microwave Oven door attenuation in dB?

In summary, the conversation revolved around a recent repair to the door switches/bracket on a microwave oven, with concerns about potential leakage and testing methods. The use of a phone and router's admin page were explored as ways to test the attenuation of the door. The discussion also touched on the effectiveness of the door's design and the potential impact on nearby radios. Ultimately, the group agreed that 33dB attenuation seemed reasonable and the door's construction should provide sufficient protection.
NTL2009
I recently made a repair to the door switches/bracket on our microwave oven (MWO). All is well, but later, after reinstalling a trim piece and checking the fit, I noticed that with the door closed and latched, that there was a bit of play (1/8"?) - I could push the door a bit further closed, and it would spring back when I let go.

It probably was like this before and I just never noticed. But, I had some concern that it could be leaking. How to test this? My first step was a basic one, I took my phone, started a youtube video over WiFi (I made sure I was on the 2.4G WiFi band, which is close to the 2.45G MWO), turned the sound up, set it in the MWO, closed the door - and it kept playing.

If I opened the door and quickly looked at the WiFi antenna icon, it was at the lowest bar. Then I thought of a way to increase the information - I went into my router's admin page, and sure enough, it shows the signal strength of each wireless device. It indicated about -55 dBm with the door open, and about -88 dBm with the door closed. I had my wife push the door closed that last bit, and I maybe saw ~ 1 dB more attenuation. I repeated that with my tablet.

So I'm convinced the little bit of looseness on the door is no issue (it's probably acting as a wave-guide attenuator, rather than needing direct contact, and the length/width of any gap provides effective attenuation?). And with about 33 dB attenuation, a 1000 watt MWO would be below 1 watt total, in the range of a cell phone. So I think that is good, but the only specs I could find were rated in mW per cm^2.

Does 33dB attenuation seem right?

Engineering news on Phys.org
A software designed radio (SDR) would be a great way to test it. Radios of course, are very sensitive.

I recall a SDR demo video (sorry, no link) that showed a man in an apartment building claiming to hear the noise of all the other tenant's microwave ovens turning on and off.

1. What is microwave oven door attenuation in dB?

Microwave oven door attenuation in dB refers to the amount of reduction in microwave energy as it passes through the door of a microwave oven. It is measured in decibels (dB) and is an important safety feature to prevent harmful radiation from escaping the oven.

2. Why is microwave oven door attenuation important?

Microwave oven door attenuation is important because it ensures that the microwave oven is safe to use. It prevents harmful radiation from escaping and potentially causing harm to the user or those nearby.

3. How is microwave oven door attenuation measured?

Microwave oven door attenuation is measured using specialized equipment that can detect the amount of microwave energy passing through the door. The measurement is typically given in decibels (dB), which is a logarithmic unit of measurement.

4. What factors affect microwave oven door attenuation?

There are several factors that can affect microwave oven door attenuation, including the material and thickness of the door, the design of the door seal, and the frequency of the microwave energy being used. These factors can impact how much microwave energy is able to pass through the door.

5. Is there a standard for microwave oven door attenuation?

Yes, there is a standard for microwave oven door attenuation set by the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA). According to this standard, the microwave oven door must have an attenuation of at least 20 dB at any frequency between 1 GHz and 40 GHz. This ensures that the oven is safe to use and meets regulatory guidelines.