Microwaves and Interference problem

In summary, the author is trying to figure out the frequency of a microwaves generator, but is having trouble. The question states that there are maxima and minima in the signal, and that starting at one of the maxima, you find 6 additional maxima after moving the reflector a distance of 8.91 cm. Therefore, the frequency of the microwaves from this generator is 20.2 GHz.
srh38
I'm working on my physics prelab, but I can't seem to get this answer. The question states:

Measuring the detector´s output as a function of its position along the goniometer (look it up!), we see that there are maxima and minima in the signal. Starting at one of the maxima, we find 6 additional maxima after moving the reflector a distance of 8.91 cm. Therefore, the frequency of the microwaves from this generator is ____________.

The answer is supposed to be in GHz. I've tried using the equation nλ=dsinθ where x≈dsinθ and λ=c/f. That would give f = c*n/x where x = 8.91 cm and n = 6. This gave me 20.2 GHz, but apparently isn't the right answer... Help please??

Science news on Phys.org
goniometer ?

did you spell that correctly ?
looking in wiki I can't see how it applies to Measuring the wavelength of an RF signal ??

Maybe it has a use that they or I am not familiar with

doing the math, 8.91cm /6 = 1.485cm
300 (c) / 1.485 = 20.2 GHz ( as you said)
desperately trying to remember if you would see maxima at 1/2 wavelength and as well as each wavelength

in that case 6 maxima would be 6 halfwaves
1.485 x 2 = λ = 2.97 therefore 300 / 2.97 = 10.1 GHz

hopefully someone else will confirm what the correct way is :smile:Dave

Last edited:
@davenn I'm not sure how it applies either, I checked the spelling and it is correct. I don't think it affects how we calculate frequency though... I just don't understand what I'm doing wrong

Welcome to PF;
##d\sin\theta ## would normally be a path difference.
Presumably the reflector controls the path difference somehow?

The existence of the interference pattern is shown by changing the angular position of the detector - which is the reference to the goniometer. The goniometer is then used to accurately fix the detector at the angle of one of the maxima.

Then you move a reflector (not the detector - leave the goniometer alone) some linear distance, the signal at the detector decreases, then increases ... when this has happened six times, the mirror is a distance x6 from it's initial position at x0. You are told that x6-x0=8.91cm

How does the position of the mirror affect the signal at the detector?

How much does the path diffreence have to change by in order to put a maxima, once more, on the detector angle?

Last edited:
srh38 said:
@davenn I'm not sure how it applies either, I checked the spelling and it is correct. I don't think it affects how we calculate frequency though... I just don't understand what I'm doing wrong

Isn't a goniometer just an instrument for measuring angles? That would be what you wanted (although not a term which I have come across in this context) for measuring the directions of peaks and nulls in an interference (diffraction) pattern. ? Sounds like shades of the Bragg diffraction formula, even.
So that we're all reading off the same hymn sheet, perhaps a diagram would help. The answer just has to be easy if we are solving the appropriate problem.

@srh38: We don't know the setup - so we cannot tell how moving the "reflector" changes the path difference to the detector.
Presumably you know that - so we need to hear from you.
Till then - that's the best I can do.

1. What are microwaves and how are they used in everyday life?

Microwaves are a type of electromagnetic radiation with wavelengths ranging from 1 millimeter to 1 meter. They are commonly used in everyday life for cooking food, communication (such as through cell phones and satellite signals), and radar technology.

2. What is the interference problem in relation to microwaves?

The interference problem refers to the disruption of microwave signals due to various factors, such as physical obstacles, electromagnetic interference, and atmospheric conditions. This can cause disruptions in communication and other functions that rely on microwave technology.

3. How is interference in microwaves prevented or minimized?

Interference in microwaves can be prevented or minimized by using shielding materials, such as metal, to block out external electromagnetic signals. Proper positioning and orientation of antennas and equipment can also help reduce interference. Additionally, using different frequencies for different functions can help avoid interference.

4. Can interference in microwaves be harmful to humans?

Generally, the interference from microwaves is not harmful to humans. However, prolonged exposure to high levels of microwave radiation can potentially cause harm. It is important to follow safety guidelines and regulations when using and working with microwave technology.

5. What are some real-life examples of interference in microwaves?

Interference in microwaves can occur in various real-life scenarios, such as dropped calls or poor reception on cell phones, disruptions in satellite TV signals during bad weather, and interference in Wi-Fi signals due to physical obstacles or competing frequencies. It can also affect the accuracy of radar systems used in air traffic control and weather forecasting.