Interference pattern of a fan of plane waves

In summary, the angle the nth plane wave makes with respect to the z-axis is the angle it makes with respect to the n =1 plane wave, ##n \Delta \theta##, minus the 1/2 the total angle between the n = N and n = 1 plane waves, ##\Delta \theta \frac {(N - 1)} {2} ##, giving me ##\theta_n = \Delta \theta (n - \frac {N - 1} {2} ) ##. Angles below the z-axis are negative and above are positive. Therefore, ## \theta_n = -\theta_{n - \frac {N - 1} {2
baseballfan_ny
Homework Statement
A fan of ##N## plane waves are propagating symmetrically with respect to the z axis, as shown in figure below. The angular spacing between successive members of the fan is fixed and equal to ##\Delta \theta##. Describe the interference pattern observed on a plane perpendicular to the z axis.
Relevant Equations
Intensity of interference of waves ## \alpha | A_1e^{i\phi_1} + A_2e^{i\phi_2}|^2##
1632653422746.png

So I've kind of made the assumption that there will be an odd number of plane waves and the same amount above and below the z-axis. Then, using the diagram below, I determined the angle the nth plane wave makes with respect to the z-axis to be the angle it makes with respect to the n =1 plane wave, ##n \Delta \theta##, minus the 1/2 the total angle between the n = N and n = 1 plane waves, ##\Delta \theta \frac {(N - 1)} {2} ##, giving me ##\theta_n = \Delta \theta (n - \frac {N - 1} {2} ) ##. Angles below the z-axis are negative and above are positive. Therefore, ## \theta_n = -\theta_{n - \frac {N - 1} {2}}## for ## n > \frac {N - 1} {2} ##.

1632654379147.png

Making the assumption that they all have the same wavelength (and hence wavenumber ##k## and amplitude, the nth plane wave would be of the form (also ##\Delta z## is distance along z-axis to perpendicular plane we are interested in) ...$$ E_n = E_0 e^{ik(x\sin(\theta_n) + \Delta z \cos(\theta_n))} $$

Then to get the intensity I would need the magnitude squared of the sum of this term over all n...

$$ I \propto | \sum_{n = 1}^N E_0 e^{ik(x\sin(\theta_n) + \Delta z \cos(\theta_n))} | | \sum_{n = 1}^N E_0 e^{-ik(x\sin(\theta_n) + \Delta z \cos(\theta_n))} | $$

From here, I might have messed up. I used the idea that ##\theta_n = -\theta_{n - \frac {N - 1} {2}}##. I then used Euler's formula and this condition to rewrite the sum as a sum of cosines and one complex exponential corresponding to the plane wave centered on the z-axis (the x = 0 one), which gave me an algebraic mess. I'm going to skip showing that because as I was writing this post I thought of another way that maybe gave me a reasonable answer?

That other way:
Maybe these sums should be added using the geometric sequence formula: ##S_n = \frac {a(1 - r^{n+1})} {1-r} ##. Calculating the r factor...
$$ r = \frac { E_0 e^{ ik(x\sin( \theta_{n+1} ) + \Delta z \cos( \theta_{n+1} ) ) } } { E_0 e^{ ik(x\sin(\theta_n) + \Delta z \cos(\theta_n) ) } } = e^{ ik( x\sin(\theta_{n+1}) + \Delta z \cos(\theta_{n+1} ) ) - ik( x\sin(\theta_n) + \Delta z \cos(\theta_n) ) } = e^{ik \gamma} $$

So then I make my sum from 0 to N-1 instead of 1 to N to apply the summation formula...

$$ I \propto \frac {E_0 [1 - e^{ik\gamma N}]} {1- e^{ik\gamma} } * \frac {E_0 [1 - e^{-ik\gamma N}]} {1- e^{-ik\gamma} } = \frac {E_0^2 [1 - e^{ik\gamma N}] - e^{-ik\gamma N}] + 1} {1 - e^{ik\gamma} - e^{-ik\gamma} + 1} = \frac {E_0^2 [2 - 2\cos{k\gamma N} ]} {2 - 2\cos{k\gamma} } = \frac {E_0^2 [1 - \cos{k\gamma N} ]} {1 - \cos{k\gamma} } $$

So there would be maxima when ## k\gamma N = m\pi##, where m is odd? I'm still not sure this is right because I'm not sure how to explain what happens when ##cos{k\gamma}## in the denominator equals 1 and the whole thing blows up...

Last edited:
Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
baseballfan_ny said:
That other way:
Maybe these sums should be added using the geometric sequence formula: ##S_n = \frac {a(1 - r^{n+1})} {1-r} ##. Calculating the r factor...
$$ r = \frac { E_0 e^{ ik(x\sin( \theta_{n+1} ) + \Delta z \cos( \theta_{n+1} ) ) } } { E_0 e^{ ik(x\sin(\theta_n) + \Delta z \cos(\theta_n) ) } } = e^{ ik( x\sin(\theta_{n+1}) + \Delta z \cos(\theta_{n+1} ) ) - ik( x\sin(\theta_n) + \Delta z \cos(\theta_n) ) } = e^{ik \gamma} $$
In order to have a geometric series, the ##r## factor needs to be a constant (i.e., independent of the term index ##n##). This is not the case here. It does look like a mess.

But if you can assume that all of the ##\theta_n## are small so that ##\sin(\theta_n) \approx \theta_n## and ##\cos(\theta_n) \approx 1##, you will have a geometric series.

Likes baseballfan_ny
TSny said:
In order to have a geometric series, the ##r## factor needs to be a constant (i.e., independent of the term index ##n##). This is not the case here. It does look like a mess.

But if you can assume that all of the ##\theta_n## are small so that ##\sin(\theta_n) \approx \theta_n## and ##\cos(\theta_n) \approx 1##, you will have a geometric series.
This is exactly the hint I needed and it worked perfectly. I apologize for the late acknowledgment. Thanks for the help!

Likes TSny

1. What is an interference pattern of a fan of plane waves?

An interference pattern of a fan of plane waves is a pattern formed when two or more plane waves intersect and overlap with each other. This results in areas of constructive and destructive interference, creating a distinct pattern.

2. How is an interference pattern of a fan of plane waves created?

An interference pattern of a fan of plane waves is created when two or more plane waves with the same frequency and amplitude intersect at a specific angle. This causes the waves to either reinforce or cancel each other out, resulting in a distinct pattern.

3. What factors affect the interference pattern of a fan of plane waves?

The interference pattern of a fan of plane waves can be affected by the wavelength, amplitude, and angle of intersection of the plane waves. It can also be influenced by the medium through which the waves are traveling.

4. What is the significance of an interference pattern of a fan of plane waves?

An interference pattern of a fan of plane waves is significant because it demonstrates the wave nature of light and other electromagnetic waves. It also allows scientists to study and understand the properties of waves, such as interference and diffraction.

5. How is the interference pattern of a fan of plane waves used in real-world applications?

The interference pattern of a fan of plane waves is used in various real-world applications, such as in the fields of optics, acoustics, and radio communication. It is also used in technologies such as holography and diffraction gratings, which rely on the interference patterns to create images and diffract light.