Microwaves - finding the wavelength

In summary, the conversation discusses different ways of finding the wavelength of a microwave in physics, one of which involves using a solution that changes color when heated. The solution is referred to as copper sulphate and can be substituted with processed cheese slices.
dragon2309
Hi everyone, we were looking at different ways of finding out the wavelength of a microwave in physics a few days back, and one of them was to soak a piece of paper in a solution and put it into a microwave iven, when this solution got hot/warm it changed colour to blue.

Does anyone know what the solution was called, cos i need to write this all up and that's the only thing that's stopping me, if its any help it was a kind of purple/red-ish colour to start with...

Cheers, dave

Science news on Phys.org
Just guessing, but does anthocyanin ring any bells?

it doesn't I am afraid, but does it ahve the same properties as i mentioned?? The one we used was called *SOMETHING* SOLUTION...

dave

Um, I don't know dragon. How about Iodine? Permanganate? Copper Sulphate?

ah, copper sulphate, that was it, thankyou very much, now i can get on and write the rest of this thing up, cheers mate, much obliged

dragon

Lucky guess, but it's a pleasure to help.

o:)

Processed cheese slices work just as well.

Related to Microwaves - finding the wavelength

1. What are microwaves?

Microwaves are a type of electromagnetic radiation, similar to radio waves and infrared light. They have a wavelength range of about 1 millimeter to 1 meter and are commonly used for communication and heating purposes.

2. How do you find the wavelength of microwaves?

The wavelength of microwaves can be determined using the formula: wavelength = speed of light / frequency. The speed of light is a constant value of 3 x 10^8 meters per second, and the frequency can be measured using a frequency meter.

3. Why is it important to know the wavelength of microwaves?

Knowing the wavelength of microwaves is important for understanding how they interact with matter. This is crucial for various applications such as wireless communication, satellite technology, and microwave cooking. It also helps in studying the behavior of electromagnetic waves in different mediums.

4. How do microwaves differ from other types of electromagnetic radiation?

Microwaves have a longer wavelength and lower frequency compared to other types of electromagnetic radiation such as visible light and X-rays. They also have lower energy and can pass through certain materials like plastic, glass, and paper, making them useful for communication and cooking purposes.

5. Can the wavelength of microwaves be changed?

The wavelength of microwaves cannot be changed once they are emitted, but it can be altered by passing through different materials. For example, microwaves can be reflected or absorbed by objects, causing a change in their wavelength. Additionally, the frequency of microwaves can be adjusted using specialized equipment.