Find the Wavelengths of Red and Blue Light in a Grating Spectrometer

In summary, a 2-cm wide diffraction grating is illuminated by white light at normal incidence. The dispersed light is observed on a viewing screen, showing the first- and second-order patterns with red and blue bands represented by four arrows. The red and blue bands correspond to wavelengths of 700 nm and 400 nm, respectively. The problem asks to identify the color of each band by finding the wavelength. However, the given equation, θ = 1.22*λ/D, is not applicable to a diffraction grating.
Gee Wiz

Homework Statement

White light illuminates a 2-cm wide diffraction grating at normal incidence. The dispersed light falls upon a viewing screen. The entire first-order and second-order patterns are observed. The four arrows in the figure below represent the first- and second-order red and blue bands. Let the wavelengths of red and blue light be 700 nm and 400 nm, respectively. Identify the color of each of the four bands by entering the wavelength of the light in the appropriate box.

Find the wavelength of the four bands.

04.02.gif

Homework Equations

θ=1.22*λ/D

The Attempt at a Solution

I figured(more like guessed) that bands 4 and 1 were 700nm and 400nm respectively, but I don't understand why. I have been trying to look through my notes and textbook to find some kind of equation or explanation, but so far to no avail. I am not really sure how to tackle this problem. I Kind of just looked at the bands realizing that 4 and 1 are first principle maximas and 3 and 2 are second principle maxs

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Gee Wiz said:

Homework Equations

θ=1.22*λ/D

This is not an equation that is applicable to a diffraction grating.

ya i just realized that is for circular slits

Related to Find the Wavelengths of Red and Blue Light in a Grating Spectrometer

What is a grating spectrometer?

A grating spectrometer is an instrument used in scientific research to measure the wavelengths of light. It works by separating light into its component wavelengths using a diffraction grating, and then detecting and analyzing the resulting spectrum.

How does a grating spectrometer work?

A grating spectrometer works by passing light through a slit, then through a diffraction grating that separates the light into different wavelengths. The separated light then passes through a lens, which focuses the light onto a detector. The detector measures the intensity of the light at each wavelength, creating a spectrum. This spectrum can then be analyzed to determine the composition and properties of the light source.

What are the advantages of using a grating spectrometer?

One of the main advantages of using a grating spectrometer is its high spectral resolution. This means that it can accurately separate and detect very small differences in wavelengths of light. Grating spectrometers are also versatile and can be used to analyze a wide range of light sources, from stars and galaxies to chemical compounds and biological samples.

What are some common applications of grating spectrometers?

Grating spectrometers have a wide range of applications in various fields of science, including astronomy, chemistry, and biology. They are used to study the composition and properties of stars, planets, and galaxies, as well as to analyze the chemical makeup of substances and the structure of biological molecules. They are also used in quality control and process monitoring in industrial settings.

How accurate are grating spectrometers?

The accuracy of a grating spectrometer depends on various factors, such as the quality of the diffraction grating, the stability of the light source, and the precision of the detector. However, in general, grating spectrometers are known for their high accuracy and are often used as a standard reference in spectroscopic measurements.