Midship section problem from naval architect

In summary, the conversation discusses a course attended and a homework assignment involving the structural analysis of a midship section under a specific moment. The questions include determining the location of the neutral axis, sectional modulus, stress at deck and bottom plates, safety factor for yielding, and the advantages of using angled-sections at the top deck. Additionally, participants are asked to research hull failure modes and report on design practices to prevent them. The individual is seeking assistance from others to complete the assignment due to a long absence from school.
buaazjw
Dear everyone,

Recently i attend a course and my homework in below. As I have leave school for ten years, lots of knowledge have forgotten, so pls help me resolve it. Sincerely thanks your help.

The midship section is subjected to a moment of Mxx = 80,000 tm Hogging. The idealized structural members contributing to the longitudinal strength of the hull girder are as shown in the figure below:
(a) Determine the location of the neutral axis NA
(b) Determine the sectional modulus of the midship section
(c) Determine the stress at the deck and bottom plates
(d) Determine the safety factor for yielding if the material yield stress is 200 MPa
(e) What are the structural advantages of using angled-section at the top deck?
(f) Search the internet for the likely hull failure modes. Write up your findings, in not more than 300 words, about the design practice to prevent these failure modes.

Attachments

• midship section.doc
    29 KB · Views: 247
Physics news on Phys.org
could anyone help me ?

1. What is the midship section problem from naval architecture?

The midship section problem is a mathematical problem in naval architecture that involves determining the shape and dimensions of a ship's hull in the midship section. It is an important aspect of ship design as it affects the stability, strength, and resistance of the ship.

2. Why is the midship section problem important in ship design?

The midship section is considered to be the most critical part of a ship's hull as it experiences the highest stresses and loads. Therefore, it is important to accurately design and analyze this section to ensure the safety and efficiency of the vessel.

3. How is the midship section problem solved?

The midship section problem is solved using mathematical calculations and computer-aided design (CAD) software. The hull is divided into small sections, and the shape and dimensions of each section are determined using hydrostatic and hydrodynamic principles.

4. What are the factors that affect the midship section design?

The shape and dimensions of the midship section are influenced by various factors such as the ship's intended use, size, speed, and operating conditions. Other factors include the materials used, the structural integrity of the hull, and the stability requirements.

5. How does the midship section design impact a ship's performance?

The midship section design has a significant impact on a ship's performance, including its speed, stability, and fuel efficiency. A well-designed midship section can reduce drag and increase hydrodynamic efficiency, resulting in better overall performance of the vessel.

Back