Mike Engelhardt, LTspice, and S·P·Q·R

• Thread starter Baluncore
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ltspice
In summary: Mike Engelhardt's new simulator, S·P·Q·R, is due to be released on May 9th, 2023. According to Mike, the simulator is better than he could have expected and is based on his previous work, QSPICE. The simulator is available for free to users, and Mike is currently working with a number of semiconductor companies to distribute the program.
Baluncore
Science Advisor
2023 Award
TL;DR Summary
Mike Engelhardt, the author of LTspice, has now written S·P·Q·R, for release on May 9th, 2023.
Mike Engelhardt wrote and developed LTspice at Linear Technology over a period of 20 years. As the world's most widely used SPICE, it became a most valuable asset for Linear Technology.

In March 2017, Analog Devices purchased Linear Technology for 14.8 billion dollars. Mike later left Analog Devices to follow a different path. Analog Devices continue to maintain and distribute LTspice.

Mike Engelhardt realised, the only way to move forward with SPICE, was to delete the entire LTspice source code tree and start over from scratch, to do it the way he now knows it should have been done. His new simulator, internally named S·P·Q·R, has dramatically improved performance and capability.

Mike's business model is to work with a semiconductor manufacturer or distributor, and to make the simulator available to users for free.
The new and improved simulator, based on S·P·Q·R, is due to be released on May 9th, 2023.
We will just have to wait patiently for the details and a download.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/mike-engelhardt-a788a822/

• Informative
Likes DaveE, Tom.G, Twigg and 3 others
Engineering news on Phys.org
Mike Engelhardt wrote in the LTspice forum ...
https://groups.io/g/LTspice/topic/new_simulator_written_by_mike/98208355?
The simulator I've been working on for the last three years, mentioned here under its code name of S·P·Q·R, will beta imminently as QSPICE.

QSPICE(S·P·Q·R) started out as a mission to get SPICE right. I started anew with the open sources. Found bugs in Kundurt's Sparse Matrix Package that I think can only be found if starting anew with code one already knows. The timestep control is also entirely rearchitected.

But with the help of affiliations with a number of IC design and manufacturing concerns, it turned out to be more than just a more robust and faster analog SPICE program. QSPICE allows one to include massive amounts of digital. I'm humbled that the simulator turned out better than I could have expected. QSPICE responds to the fact that simulation requirements change.

If you wish to participate in the Qorvo QSPICE beta, which is coming soon, you can sign up at https://p.qorvo.com/qspice

Mike Engelhardt
Author of QSPICE

The massive increase in digital simulation includes support for Verilog.

1. Who is Mike Engelhardt?

Mike Engelhardt is a renowned electrical engineer and inventor of the popular circuit simulation software LTspice. He has over 40 years of experience in the industry and has authored several books on circuit design.

2. What is LTspice?

LTspice is a free, high-performance circuit simulation software designed for analyzing and testing analog electronic circuits. It was created by Mike Engelhardt and is widely used by engineers, students, and hobbyists.

3. How do I use LTspice?

To use LTspice, you first need to download and install the software on your computer. Then, you can create a new schematic by drawing the circuit diagram or by importing a netlist. You can then run simulations and analyze the results using various tools and features provided by LTspice.

4. What is the significance of S·P·Q·R in LTspice?

S·P·Q·R stands for Simulation Program with Integrated Circuit Emphasis. It is the original name for LTspice, which was later shortened to LTspice. The name reflects the software's focus on simulating integrated circuits and its ability to handle complex circuit designs.

5. Is LTspice suitable for beginners?

LTspice can be used by beginners, but it does have a steep learning curve. It is a powerful tool with advanced features, so it may take some time for beginners to get familiar with all its functions. However, there are plenty of tutorials and resources available online to help beginners get started with LTspice.