Millikan Oil Drop Experiment - A few questions

In summary, the conversation revolves around difficulties in conducting the Millikan Oil Drop Experiment using a PASCO Scientific Model 300a. The experimenters are having trouble making the droplets in the viewing chamber move in the desired direction and have not been successful in achieving the desired results. They are seeking help and advice on how to improve their technique and make the experiment less frustrating.
ItzPootz
Millikan Oil Drop Experiment -- A few questions

Homework Statement

I'm currently doing the millikan oil drop lab; we're using a PASCO Scientific Model 300a (fairly ancient). Specifically, my partner and I are having major problems making any of the droplets in the viewing chamber go back up when switching the top plate to negative/positive.

We give it a strong squeeze, we see tons of droplets in the chamber, but they all just keep moving down the chamber. We've had two instances of successfully making a drop oscillate, but we suck at experiments and didn't think about the nuances to using a stopwatch in the dark.

However, the past 3 sessions we've attempted have yielded NO drops that even slow down when charging the plates. What's up with that? I'm desperately looking for pointers here; I didn't think this would be that frustrating.

Thanks for any help.

Homework Equations

-N/A-

The Attempt at a Solution

-N/A-

Physics news on Phys.org
come on guys …

someone must know how to fix this! :smile:

1. What is the Millikan Oil Drop Experiment?

The Millikan Oil Drop Experiment is a scientific experiment conducted by Robert A. Millikan in 1909 to determine the charge of an electron.

2. How was the Millikan Oil Drop Experiment conducted?

The experiment involved suspending tiny oil droplets in a chamber between two charged plates. By measuring the rate at which the droplets moved in an electric field, the charge of the droplets could be calculated.

3. What was the significance of the Millikan Oil Drop Experiment?

The experiment provided the first accurate measurement of the charge of an electron, which was a crucial step in understanding the structure of atoms and the nature of electricity.

4. What were the challenges faced during the Millikan Oil Drop Experiment?

One of the major challenges faced was maintaining a stable electric field in the chamber to prevent the droplets from moving erratically. Another challenge was accurately measuring the size and mass of the oil droplets.

5. How did the results of the Millikan Oil Drop Experiment impact the scientific community?

The experiment was a major breakthrough in the field of physics and helped validate the atomic theory. It also paved the way for future experiments and advancements in understanding the behavior of electrons and electricity.