Miltary to Space Industry Career Advice Needed

In summary: You may also be able to leverage your security clearance for certain roles in the space industry. It's great that you're taking the initiative to brush up on your math and science skills, as those are crucial in this field. Going back to school for a technical degree may also be beneficial, but it's important to weigh the time and cost against your age and clearance. Overall, it seems like you have a clear direction and are willing to put in the work to make the transition to the space industry. In summary, the individual is retiring from the military in three years with a management degree and a security clearance. They are interested in pursuing a career in the space industry and are taking steps to brush up on their math and science skills. They are
Jason1234567
Everyone, this post is going on multiple forums/subreddits so I can get diverse feedback. Pardon the spam if you see it elsewhere:

I am retiring from the military in three years from a non-technical specialty. I have a bachelors in management. I will be 45 when I depart. I will have a security clearance.

I very much want to get into the space industry in some role. The field fascinates me, and after weighing lots of options I am fairly confident in the general direction I want to go. I am going to spend the next year getting my math and science skills from school (long ago) brushed up, and start knocking out preliminary course work in math through Differential Equations and a full Physics series.

I am interested in the technical aspects of the industry, but have no background in them. I have lots of management experience of diverse technical workers, but I am not sure how to leverage this. I am willing to go back to school, but I am not getting any younger and I would lose my clearance as it timed out… I figure that may help get a foot in the door, somewhere. I’ve looked at various online programs that I could get into after getting my math/science coursework done, but without a technical bachelors or hands on experience I am not sure if that will help or hurt. I’ve looked at FIT’s MS in Space Systems with interest.

I’m really on the beginning of the path here, but I’m looking for general feedback and advice from anyone in the industry and would love your thoughts as I try to figure out the way forward.

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Depending on your rank at retirement, I can see you being brought in as a program manager with your management degree.

1. What skills from a military career are transferable to the space industry?

There are several skills that are transferable from a military career to the space industry, including leadership, problem-solving, teamwork, and technical skills. Military personnel often have experience working in high-stress environments and following strict protocols, which can be valuable in the space industry.

2. What steps should I take to transition from a military career to the space industry?

The first step is to research the space industry and identify the specific roles and companies that align with your skills and interests. Networking with individuals in the industry and attending career fairs can also be helpful. Additionally, gaining relevant education or training, such as a degree in engineering or a certification in aerospace technology, can make you a more competitive candidate.

3. How can I make my military experience stand out on my resume for a space industry job?

Highlighting your military experience on your resume can be done by focusing on the specific skills and accomplishments that are relevant to the space industry. This can include your leadership experience, technical training, and any specialized skills or certifications. Additionally, using industry-specific keywords and terminology can help your resume stand out to potential employers.

4. Are there any specific challenges that military personnel may face when transitioning to the space industry?

One challenge that military personnel may face is adjusting to the different culture and work environment in the space industry. Additionally, there may be a learning curve when it comes to understanding the technical aspects and terminology of the industry. It is important to be open-minded and willing to adapt to these changes in order to successfully transition to the space industry.

5. Are there any resources available specifically for military personnel looking to enter the space industry?

Yes, there are several resources available for military personnel looking to enter the space industry. These can include career transition programs, networking events, and job boards specifically for veterans. Additionally, there are organizations such as the Space Foundation that offer mentorship and support for military personnel transitioning to the space industry.