Mimicking Accents: A Fascination?

• Thread starter Gale
  • Start date
In summary: I do talk to people in real life too! Though, it's probably good I don't pick up accents so easily, otherwise I might wind up picking up a KY accent!
Gale
I just finished watching "a midsummer's night dream" and now i feel the strongest desire to speak in old shakspearian english. I find its a habit i have quite often. I watch listen to someone speaking, and I'm always wanting to repeat them with the same dialct. Has anyone that habit other than I? I watched "drop dead gorgeous" a few hours ago, and had a persistent midwestern accent until i popped in another flick. When i was a kid i fell in love with the brittish accent and spoke that way all day long. Even today i call my mother mum. I can't be the only one... who else is fascinated with accents? have a favorite? are you good at sounding authentic? is it a habit as it is with me? ever start mimicking one accent and accidently start speaking in an other? (man i do that all the time, i'll be pretending to be Apu from the simpsons one minute, then I'm Ms. Cleo the next.) Or even talk to yourself in different accents just so you don't get confused. (i probably so that a bit too often to be entirely sane.)

Physics news on Phys.org
When I listen to music, I sing along in as near to the same voice as the singer's as I can get.

When I saw Lou Gossett Jr. in "Enemy Mine" I talked like him for about a week.

Yaaaarrrrh! I be mimicking the pirate accent, I be! :biggrin:

When I was younger, I was much worse about it, that just talking to someone for a short time, I'd start picking up bits of their accent. I don't do that so much anymore.

that's because it's hard to pick up an accent from type on the monitor.

I think we all have the power of genius. But it takes the right mindset to use it.

tribdog said:
that's because it's hard to pick up an accent from type on the monitor.

:grumpy: Believe it or not, I do talk to people in real life too! Though, it's probably good I don't pick up accents so easily, otherwise I might wind up picking up a KY accent! :eek: A couple of the people I work with live in KY, and the one says she's determined to move before her son picks up the accent. :rofl:

I tend to unconsciously parrot those I am around. I dated a guy from England once and a waitress asked me what part of England I was from. I hadn't noticed I was mimicking his accent. Then I dated a professional soccer player from Australia that was German, talk about a strange accent. :bugeye:

talk about a strange sex life.

tribdog said:
talk about a strange sex life.
I never had sex with Hans (the German/Australian soccer player), I didn't date him that long because my best friend didn't like the way he chewed his food. :rolleyes:

Besides, he didn't feel human. I'd put my arms around him and it felt like I was holding a stone statue, professional soccers players are in incredible shape. :bugeye: Give me some flab and a bit of a belly! :approve:

Gale17 said:
When i was a kid i fell in love with the brittish accent and spoke that way all day long. Even today i call my mother mum.

A "brittish accent"? Would you care to qualify that? Calling someone "mum" doesn't mean you're speaking in a British accent. Accents and dialects are quite distinct in their meanings, and should not be confused.

You'll find many instances where someone from Northern Ireland wouldn't have a clue what a Londoner is saying, and in many instances, a Yorkshireman would not understand a Cornishman, because of their different accents. However, they could share the same dialect and still have a barrier. Alternatively, their accents could be identical, but their associated dialects could provide the barrier impairing communication.

I am sick and tired of hearing how my perfection is a liability

I still talk like Joe Dirt sometimes, and I saw that movie like 2 years ago.

I always say "Dang!" when something silly happens or what not.

I also have the Jay Leno style going on too. I watch his show quite often.

brewnog said:
A "brittish accent"? Would you care to qualify that? Calling someone "mum" doesn't mean you're speaking in a British accent. Accents and dialects are quite distinct in their meanings, and should not be confused.

You'll find many instances where someone from Northern Ireland wouldn't have a clue what a Londoner is saying, and in many instances, a Yorkshireman would not understand a Cornishman, because of their different accents. However, they could share the same dialect and still have a barrier. Alternatively, their accents could be identical, but their associated dialects could provide the barrier impairing communication.

I had no idea that "brittish" meant so much... i mean like... Olivers Twist style... "please sah, may i 'ave summore?" Or hmm "top of the mornin' to you gov'nah. Out for a spot of tea and crumpets?" or like "Me mum won't take me to see 'arry Potter?"

Actually, i speak really awkwardly in person because I've acquired so many false accents that i thought were cool. I sound like pseudo bittish, Canadian, bostonion, soCal, (and thanks to my roommate) midwest accents. My sister can't stand it... says I'm a freak, i think its hilarious though.

1. What causes people to mimic accents?

Mimicking accents is a natural human behavior that is influenced by various factors such as exposure to different accents, social interactions, and the desire to fit in or be accepted by a certain group.

2. Is mimicking accents considered offensive or disrespectful?

It depends on the context and intention behind the mimicry. In some cases, mimicking accents can be seen as a form of mockery or discrimination, especially when it is used to belittle or make fun of someone's speech. However, in other situations, it can simply be a way to connect with others or show appreciation for a certain culture.

3. Can mimicking accents affect one's own accent or speech patterns?

Yes, studies have shown that constantly mimicking accents can have an impact on a person's own accent or speech patterns. This is because mimicking requires the person to pay attention and make conscious changes to their speech, which can unintentionally influence their own accent or manner of speaking.

4. Are there any benefits to mimicking accents?

Mimicking accents has been found to have positive effects on language learning and cross-cultural communication. It can also help individuals develop a better understanding and appreciation for different accents and cultures.

5. Are some people better at mimicking accents than others?

Yes, some people may have a natural talent for mimicking accents, while others may struggle to imitate them accurately. However, it is worth noting that anyone can improve their accent mimicry skills with practice and exposure to different accents.