Min Plane Height to Drop Bomb in Hollow: 335m

In summary, at the smallest possible height for the plane to fly above the hollow, it would need to be at an altitude of 335m.
blue_eyes_88
Homework Statement
What is the smallest height for a projectile to hit the target?
Relevant Equations
Kinematic equations
A plane is flying 80km/h in horizontal direction and it has to drop a bomb into 30m wide and 30m deep hollow. What is the smallest possible height for the plane to fly above hollow if the bomb successfully hits the bottom?

I made a mistake somewhere but not sure where... the correct result is 335m

My solving so far:
image1-2.jpeg

image0-2.jpeg

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF. :smile:

It kind of looks like you should have subtracted the 30m hole depth instead of adding it. The altitude of the plane is in reference to the surface of the ground, not the bottom of the hole.

I think you approached the question correctly, but I did not go through your work in detail to check it (yet).

berkeman said:
Welcome to PF. :smile:

It kind of looks like you should have subtracted the 30m hole depth instead of adding it. The altitude of the plane is in reference to the surface of the ground, not the bottom of the hole.

I think you approached the question correctly, but I did not go through your work in detail to check it (yet).
Thank you for a warm welcome :smile:
Even if I subtract 30m, then my result is 365.5m. Still figuring out where did those 60m came from.

But if you subtract the 30m from 365...

I'll try to look through your math in a bit. I think you approached it the way I would have, by having the bomb just barely clear the near lip of the hole and hit the bottom middle of the hole. That gives you two points on the parabolic arc down, and you know the horizontal speed at both of those points.

berkeman said:
But if you subtract the 30m from 365...

I'll try to look through your math in a bit. I think you approached it the way I would have, by having the bomb just barely clear the near lip of the hole and hit the bottom middle of the hole. That gives you two points on the parabolic arc down, and you know the horizontal speed at both of those points.
That's right. Then the smallest possible altitude has to come from time t which we can get from w/2.

Looks like your symbols ##v_1## and ##v_2## represent the vertical components of the velocities. Is that right?

1647551381159.png

So, ##v_1## is the vertical component of velocity of the bomb after it has fallen a height ##h_1##?

1647550980687.png

Shouldn't the 2 that is circled in orange actually be a 4? Otherwise, your work looks good to me.

What value did you use for ##v_0## in m/s?

I'm not getting anything close to the given answer of 335 m for the altitude of the plane. I get about 84 m for your ##h_1##. I could be making some errors.

The limiting case is not when the bomb hits the middle point of the hole. You can go even lower and hit off center.

nasu said:
The limiting case is not when the bomb hits the middle point of the hole. You can go even lower and hit off center.
Very interesting insight. So as long as you clear the near lip of the hole, the minimum altitude for the drop may not result in the bomb hitting the middle of the hole. I did not think of that case; thank you.
blue_eyes_88 said:
Homework Statement:: What is the smallest height for a projectile to hit the target?
Relevant Equations:: Kinematic equations

if the bomb successfully hits the bottom?
But the problem statement does mention "bottom", so that's why we were assuming the middle/bottom of the hole...

"That's impossible! Even with a computer!"
1647572701422.png

"I used to bullseye Womp-rats in my T-16..."

Likes TSny and berkeman
Why would you assume this shape for the hole? Why not a cylindrical one, with flat bottom?

• Informative
Likes berkeman
nasu said:
Why would you assume this shape for the hole? Why not a cylindrical one, with flat bottom?
That's a good point. A cylindrical hole doubles the horizontal window from 15 to 30m.

nasu said:
True, good idea. Didn’t even considered it.

TSny said:
Looks like your symbols ##v_1## and ##v_2## represent the vertical components of the velocities. Is that right?

View attachment 298533

So, ##v_1## is the vertical component of velocity of the bomb after it has fallen a height ##h_1##?

View attachment 298532
Shouldn't the 2 that is circled in orange actually be a 4? Otherwise, your work looks good to me.

What value did you use for ##v_0## in m/s?

I'm not getting anything close to the given answer of 335 m for the altitude of the plane. I get about 84 m for your ##h_1##. I could be making some errors.
The factor 1/2 is correct. I checked my solution process and there is no factor in front of g^2*t^2 so when dividing by 2 we get 1/2.

Thank you guys for your help.

It’s clear to me now that my solving process is solid, only have to check now for different parameters (cylinder, maybe they made extra typo for initial condition?).

I appreciate your help!

Likes berkeman
blue_eyes_88 said:
The factor 1/2 is correct. I checked my solution process and there is no factor in front of g^2*t^2 so when dividing by 2 we get 1/2.
But it looks to me that substituting for ##t## using ## t = \large \frac{w}{2v_0}## brings in another factor of 2 in the denominator. Maybe I'm overlooking something.
1647614269982.png

Also, I don't see how you got 85.5 m/s when substituting values here
1647614667781.png

If I use w = d = 30 m, g = 10 m/s2, and V0 = 80 km/h = 22.2 m/s, I get about 38 m/s for V1. If the 2 in the denominator of the second term should actually be 4, then I get V1 to be about 41 m/s.

Anyway, your approach looks valid to me for the way in which you are interpreting the question.

OMG, TSny.

You just made me realize how negligent I am when solving problems. No wonder why I am so conscious about myself and never sure if it's wright or wrong. I'm really grateful to you :) I know on what I have to work on (God, I feel so stupid for not putting a ratio in correctly).

Went through the problem again and got 38 m/s ----> h1 = 72.2 m.

Maybe for the official solution there was meant other condition, but I'm happy with this solution.

The problem says that the hole is 30 m deep by 30 m wide. Projectile motion is two-dimensional so I would say that the projectile just barely clears the lip of the hole then travels horizontally inside the hole for 30 m while it drops vertically another 30 m. That is, I imagine a square with the top corner connected to the bottom diagonally-across-corner by the parabolic trajectory of the projectile.

The horizontal component of the velocity is known and the time of flight inside the hole can be found quite easily. One needs to find the vertical velocity component at the point of entry which would determine the height from which the bomb was released. This interpretation gave me a drop height less than 30 m. Forum rules bar me from being more specific.

Likes sysprog

1. What is the significance of the "Min Plane Height to Drop Bomb in Hollow"?

The "Min Plane Height to Drop Bomb in Hollow" refers to the minimum height at which a plane must release a bomb in order to hit a specific target within a hollow area. This is an important factor in military operations, as dropping a bomb from too low of a height can result in the bomb missing its target or causing unintended damage.

2. How is the "Min Plane Height to Drop Bomb in Hollow" calculated?

The "Min Plane Height to Drop Bomb in Hollow" is calculated using a combination of factors, including the distance from the target, the type of bomb being dropped, and the altitude and speed of the plane. It also takes into account the curvature of the Earth and the effects of wind and air resistance.

3. Why is it important to have a minimum plane height for dropping bombs in a hollow area?

Hollow areas, such as valleys or canyons, can create unique challenges for bombing operations. Dropping a bomb from too low of a height can result in the bomb hitting the sides of the hollow rather than the intended target, or even bouncing off the ground and causing unintended damage. The minimum plane height helps to ensure more accurate and effective bombing in these types of terrain.

4. Can the "Min Plane Height to Drop Bomb in Hollow" vary depending on the type of bomb being dropped?

Yes, the minimum plane height can vary depending on the type of bomb being dropped. Different bombs have different weights, shapes, and aerodynamic properties, which can affect the distance they travel and the accuracy of their trajectory. Therefore, the minimum plane height may need to be adjusted accordingly.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect the "Min Plane Height to Drop Bomb in Hollow"?

Yes, there are several other factors that can affect the "Min Plane Height to Drop Bomb in Hollow." These include weather conditions, such as wind speed and direction, as well as the altitude and speed of the plane. In addition, the terrain and topography of the hollow area can also play a role in determining the minimum plane height.