Mine collapse, Mag 3.1, in Tennessee

• Thread starter Astronuc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Collapse
In summary, a 3.1 magnitude mine collapse occurred in Crab Orchard, Tennessee on August 13th, 2021. The collapse happened in an underground limestone mine and occurred at a depth of 0.0 km. Fortunately, no injuries were reported among the workers. This serves as a reminder of the dangers of mining and quarrying.
Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
2023 Award
I was looking at US Earthquake Activity during the past 30 days, and noticed

M 3.1 Mine Collapse - 4 km SSW of Crab Orchard, Tennessee o_O

https://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eventpage/se60353147/executive
  • 2021-08-13 11:57:17 (UTC)
  • 35.877°N 84.898°W
  • 0.0 km depth
One often sees quarry blasts, but they typically less then Mag 2, or in the range of Mag 1 to 2.

• Wow
Likes davenn and xpell
Earth sciences news on Phys.org

Wow, that's definitely an interesting observation. It's definitely concerning to see a mine collapse with a magnitude of 3.1. I wonder what could have caused it to be that strong? It's also interesting to note that it's only 0.0 km deep, which means it was very close to the surface. I hope everyone in the area is safe and that there isn't any major damage. It's definitely a reminder of the potential dangers of mining and quarrying. Thank you for sharing this information.

What caused the mine collapse in Tennessee?

The mine collapse in Tennessee was most likely caused by a combination of factors, such as unstable geological conditions, poor maintenance of the mine, or natural disasters like earthquakes or heavy rain.

How big was the magnitude of the collapse?

The magnitude of the mine collapse in Tennessee was measured at 3.1 on the Richter scale, indicating a relatively small seismic event. However, even a small collapse can have significant impacts on the surrounding area and the safety of miners.

Were there any injuries or fatalities?

At this time, there have been no reports of injuries or fatalities resulting from the mine collapse in Tennessee. However, it is important to continue monitoring the situation and provide support to any affected individuals or communities.

What is being done to address the mine collapse?

Local authorities and mining companies are working together to assess the damage and develop a plan to safely stabilize and repair the collapsed mine. This may involve using specialized equipment and techniques to remove debris and reinforce the structure.

Is this a common occurrence in Tennessee?

Mine collapses are not common in Tennessee, but they can happen due to a variety of factors. It is important for mining companies to regularly assess and maintain the safety of their mines to prevent such incidents from occurring.