Mini Golf Windmill: Find Minimum Linear Speed of Ball

• Thread starter pmd28
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Windmill
In summary, a golf ball with a diameter of 4.50x10-2 m is passing through a windmill with 6 blades rotating at an angular speed of 1.65 rad/s. The ball needs to have a minimum linear speed to avoid being hit by the next blade, which can be calculated using the equation v=ωr, where ω is the angular speed and r is the distance from the center of rotation to the edge of the blade.
pmd28

Homework Statement

A golf ball passing through a windmill at a miniature golf course. The windmill has 6 blades and rotates at an angular speed of 1.65 rad/s. The opening between successive blades is equal to the width of a blade. A golf ball (diameter 4.50x10-2 m) has just reached the edge of one of the rotating blades (see the drawing). Ignoring the thickness of the blades, find the minimum linear speed with which the ball moves along the ground, such that the ball will not be hit by the next blade.

Homework Equations

ω=θ/t
v=m/s

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know how to start this. I drew out a picture and I still can't see how I can relate the equations. And the last guy helping me just stopped.

Physics news on Phys.org
hi pmd28! :smile:

the ball is 0.045 m from front to back,

so it needs to go that distance "before the gap has gone past"! :wink:

I knew that much, I just couldn't get θ of ω. But I slept on it and figured it out. Thanks :smile:

1. What is the purpose of a windmill in mini golf?

The windmill is a common obstacle in mini golf courses that adds a level of difficulty and fun to the game. Its purpose is to force players to navigate their ball through the moving blades in order to reach the hole.

2. How does the windmill affect the speed of the ball?

The windmill can significantly affect the speed of the ball depending on its design and how it is hit by the player's shot. The moving blades can either slow down or speed up the ball, adding an element of unpredictability to the game.

3. How do you calculate the minimum linear speed of the ball in a windmill obstacle?

The minimum linear speed of the ball can be calculated by considering the height and distance of the blades of the windmill, as well as the angle and force of the player's shot. This calculation can be complex and may require knowledge of physics and mathematical formulas.

4. Is there a specific technique for successfully navigating the windmill in mini golf?

While there is no one specific technique, it is important to carefully observe the speed and direction of the windmill blades before taking your shot. Additionally, adjusting the angle and force of your shot can help increase the chances of successfully navigating the windmill.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect the minimum linear speed of the ball in a windmill obstacle?

Aside from the design and movement of the windmill itself, other factors such as the weight and material of the ball, as well as the surface of the mini golf course, can also affect the minimum linear speed of the ball. These factors should also be taken into consideration when calculating the speed of the ball.