Mini road trip: Riding the waves in the mountains

• Thread starter jtbell
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Waves
In summary, the waves are sound waves and radio waves. On Saturday, I drove up to Asheville NC for some sightseeing. Although I've been to stamp and model-train shows south of town nearby many times, I had never done any real sightseeing downtown, only driven through it. The waves in this case are sound waves and radio waves. The first stop was the Moogseum, which showcases the life and work of Robert Moog. He moved to the Asheville area after retiring from his signature company in New York. The museum is small but has interesting exhibits about Moog's life and the history of synthesized music, including predecessors to the Moog synthesizers such as the theremin and the on
jtbell
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
In this case, the waves are sound waves and radio waves. On Saturday, I drove up to Asheville NC for some sightseeing. Although I've been to stamp and model-train shows south of town nearby many times, I had never done any real sightseeing downtown, only driven through it.

Stop 1

My main destination downtown was the Moogseum, which showcases the life and work of Robert Moog, of synthesizer fame. He moved to the Asheville area after retiring from his signature company in New York.

moogseum.jpg

The museum is small but has interesting exhibits about Moog's life and the history of synthesized music, including predecessors to the Moog synthesizers such as the theremin and the ondes Martenot, with which I'm acquainted via Olivier Messiaen's music. Moog started his career by building and selling theremins as a teenager in the 1950s. There's a reconstruction of Moog's workbench as it was when he died in 2005. I was amused to recognize items that my students and I used in undergraduate labs: Fluke multimeters, Tektronix oscilloscopes, etc.

When I was in high school in the late 1960s, two of the first albums I bought were Walter/Wendy Carlos's Switched-On Bach and The Well-Tempered Synthesizer, which helped make Moog famous.

Unfortunately, the museum doesn't allow photography except in the entrance area / gift shop. Underneath the portrait is a couch made up to look like a synthesizer.

bobmoog.jpg

Because of its small size and Covid restrictions, the museum can currently accommodate only a limited number of visitors at a time. I bought my ticket and made a reservation for a specific hour online.

• Love
Likes DennisN, pbuk, rsk and 4 others
Physics news on Phys.org
I arrived in Asheville earlier than I expected, so I had some time for exploring before my reserved time at the Moogseum.

Downtown Asheville has a lot of small shops, restaurants, brewpubs, nightclubs, etc., most of which were just starting to open in late morning. The central plaza is Pack Square, presided over at one end by the Buncombe County courthouse and the Asheville city hall.

packsquare.jpg

It also had some nice specimens of fall color.

fallcolors.jpg

Not far from the Moogseum is the boyhood home of novelist Thomas Wolfe (1900-1938), who is generally considered to be North Carolina's most famous writer. The house is now a NC state historical site.

wolfehouse.jpg

I didn't take the tour through the house because I was a bit short of time by then, but I did look at the exhibits in the visitor center. They include artifacts from his apartment in New York City. When he died suddenly from complications of pneumonia, his brother gathered up his belongings and shipped them back to Asheville.

wolfedesk.jpg

wolfestuff.jpg

The radio ties in with my next stop...

Likes Astronuc, collinsmark, BillTre and 1 other person
Speaking of theremins... here are a couple of snippets from the theremin concerto by the Finnish composer Kalevi Aho:

Likes collinsmark and jedishrfu
Speaking of Theremins? I thought we were speaking of moogs.

Jazz composer Dick Hyman and a song from his Minotaur album entitled the Moog and Me

Stop 3

After finishing at the Moogseum, I drove to the Asheville Radio Museum, which is open only 1-3 PM on Saturdays. Getting there was a bit of an adventure. I had to use my car's GPS and follow the directions and photos on the web site. I ended up on the third floor of a classroom/lab building at Asheville-Buncombe Technical College ("A-B Tech").

entrance.jpg

generalview.jpg

As you can see, this place is chock full of stuff. A homemade Hertzian spark-gap transmitter:

sparkgap.jpg

Crystal radios:

crystalradios.jpg

oatmeal.jpg

Vacuum tubes:

vacuumtube.jpg

And more...

Likes DennisN, OCR, collinsmark and 1 other person
Stop 3 continued

More stuff from the radio museum...

It's maintained by an amateur (ham) radio club, so it has a large collection of vintage ham radio equipment:

hamradio.jpg

The Hammarlund company had its main factory in nearby Mars Hill NC from 1951 to 1973.

Ham radio operators honor legacy of Mars Hill company (Asheville Citizen Times, 2020)

hammarlund.jpg

Downed pilots in World War II used this emergency radio to signal their location to rescuers. They held the radio by its curved sides between their thighs, and turned the crank on top to power it.

gibsongirl.jpg

A Latvian radio of the 1930s-1940s has a tuning dial that names the different cities it could receive (mostly northern Europe):

tuningdial.jpg

An early TV set:

philco.jpg

A radio and 8-track tape combo from the 1960s-1970s:

8track.jpg

A hallway display elsewhere in the building has a collection of tabletop radios:

halldisplay.jpg

Last edited:
Likes DennisN, collinsmark, Astronuc and 1 other person
Addendum

When I did this trip, I was hoping to make another stop that fit in with the radio theme of the museum, but I ran out of daylight.

Last weekend I was in the Asheville area again for a stamp show, and had enough time to make a detour onto the Blue Ridge Parkway to view Mount Pisgah, elevation 5721 ft (1744 m).

This is the site of the highest television transmitter in the US east of the Mississippi River. It hosts two Asheville TV stations, WLOS (ABC) and WUNF (PBS-NC), that my wife and I watch regularly via our rooftop antenna more than 80 miles (130 km) away in the "lowlands" of the South Carolina piedmont region.

One of these days I want to hike the trail to the summit.

Pisgah1.jpg

pisgah2.jpg

Last edited:
Likes Astronuc, DennisN, collinsmark and 1 other person
jtbell said:
bobmoog-jpg.jpg
A very funny bench in that photo! (or small sofa?) :smile:
And very nice photos of cool gear and locations, thanks for posting!

Likes collinsmark
DennisN said:
A very funny bench in that photo! (or small sofa?) :smile:
And very nice photos of cool gear and locations, thanks for posting!

Yes (from what I gather), it's a comfy sofa/couch/bench made as a quite accurate depiction of the Minimoog, Model D.

20px-Minimoog_model_D_%28early_1970s%29%2C_MIM_PHX.jpg

Figure 1. Minimoog Model D

Here's a Wikipedia article on the instrument (all models): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minimoog

Here's a video with the unmistakable sound of the Minimoog instrument (may have to be watched on YouTube, since embedding may be disabled):

Edit: Oh, and lest we forget Gary Numan, here's the song Cars, primarily made/recorded with a Minimoog (along with a Polymoog Keyboard):

Last edited:
Likes DennisN

1. What is a mini road trip?

A mini road trip is a short journey taken by car, usually for leisure or recreation purposes. It typically involves driving through scenic routes and stopping at various destinations along the way.

2. How can I ride waves in the mountains?

Riding waves in the mountains usually refers to surfing or white water rafting. To do this, you will need to find a suitable river or mountain lake with rapids or waves, and either rent a surfboard or join a rafting tour. It is important to have proper training and safety equipment before attempting these activities.

3. Are there any risks involved in riding waves in the mountains?

Yes, there are risks involved in any outdoor activity, and riding waves in the mountains is no exception. It is important to be aware of potential hazards such as strong currents, rocks, and debris in the water. It is also important to have proper training and safety equipment to minimize these risks.

4. What are the benefits of a mini road trip?

A mini road trip can have many benefits, including relaxation, exploration, and adventure. It allows you to disconnect from your daily routine and immerse yourself in new surroundings. It also gives you the opportunity to discover new places and try new activities.

5. Is there a best time to go on a mini road trip to ride waves in the mountains?

The best time to go on a mini road trip to ride waves in the mountains may vary depending on the specific location and activity. Generally, summer months tend to be the most popular time for water sports in the mountains, as the weather is usually warm and water levels are higher. However, it is important to research the specific destination and activity to determine the optimal time to go.