Minima and maxima of a cycloid

In summary, the cycloid is defined by the parametric equations x = a(t-sin(t)) and y = a(1-cos(t)). By differentiating, the derivative is found to be 0 whenever t = πN where N is a nonnegative integer. However, the minima occur at t = aπN, which is different from the values of t where the derivative is 0. The mistake may lie in not considering values of t where the derivative fails to exist.
Bipolarity
The cycloid is defined by the parametric equations
[itex] x = a(t-sin(t)) [/itex] and [itex] y = a(1-cos(t)) [/itex]

I am trying to find the set of points of relative extrema of a cycloid.

I differentiated first to get

[itex] \frac{dx}{dt} = a(1-cos(t)) [/itex] and [itex] \frac{dy}{dt} = a*sin(t) [/itex]

Then, by the chain rule:

[itex] \frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{\frac{dy}{dt}}{\frac{dx}{dt}} = \frac{sin(t)}{1-cos(t)} [/itex]

This fraction is 0 whenever [itex] t = πN [/itex] where N is nonnegative integer.
Thus, the derivative is 0 whenever [itex] t = πN [/itex] where N is nonnegative integer.

But according to the graph on my textbook,
the minima occur when [itex] t = aπN [/itex], where N is nonnegative integer.

Where is my mistake?

BiP

Physics news on Phys.org
Bipolarity said:
The cycloid is defined by the parametric equations
[itex] x = a(t-sin(t)) [/itex] and [itex] y = a(1-cos(t)) [/itex]

I am trying to find the set of points of relative extrema of a cycloid.

I differentiated first to get

[itex] \frac{dx}{dt} = a(1-cos(t)) [/itex] and [itex] \frac{dy}{dt} = a*sin(t) [/itex]

Then, by the chain rule:

[itex] \frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{\frac{dy}{dt}}{\frac{dx}{dt}} = \frac{sin(t)}{1-cos(t)} [/itex]

This fraction is 0 whenever [itex] t = πN [/itex] where N is nonnegative integer.
Thus, the derivative is 0 whenever [itex] t = πN [/itex] where N is nonnegative integer.

But according to the graph on my textbook,
the minima occur when [itex] t = aπN [/itex], where N is nonnegative integer.

Where is my mistake?

BiP

You are correct the ##\sin t = 0## when ##t = n\pi##. ##n## can be any integer. But if you examine your graph, you will see you get max points for those values of ##t##. For what values of ##t## does the derivative ##\frac{dy}{dx}## fail to exist? You might look there for the mins. And I don't think you will find that as ##t = n\pi##.

Related to Minima and maxima of a cycloid

1. What is a cycloid?

A cycloid is a curve that is traced by a point on the rim of a circular wheel as it rolls along a straight line.

2. How do you find the minima and maxima of a cycloid?

The minima and maxima of a cycloid can be found by calculating the first derivative of the cycloid equation and setting it equal to zero. Then, solve for the value of t that makes the derivative zero and plug it back into the original equation to find the corresponding x and y coordinates.

3. Can a cycloid have more than one maxima or minima?

Yes, a cycloid can have multiple maxima and minima depending on the size and shape of the rolling wheel.

4. What real-life applications use cycloids?

Cycloids have been used in various engineering and design applications, such as gear design, cam mechanisms, and roller coasters.

5. Can a cycloid be described by a single mathematical equation?

Yes, a cycloid can be described by the parametric equations x = r(t - sin(t)) and y = r(1 - cos(t)), where r is the radius of the rolling wheel and t is the parameter that represents the angle of rotation.