Minimizing the cost of a boiler

• MHB
  • Thread starter leprofece
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Boiler
In summary: For any positive $r$, we have $S''(r)>0$, thus we know this critical value is at a $3\times r$ distance from the origin.
leprofece
it is necessary to manufacture a boiler, composed of a cylinder and two funds hemispherical, with walls of uniform thickness, and for a given volume V. Calculate the dimensions of the boiler which can be built with the least amount of material. r = cubic sqrt of ( 3v/4pi)V = 2pir2H + 4/3pir3
Cylinder and sphere i can't find out how to link the equations

Physics news on Phys.org
Re: max and min 277

You have stated the constraint, but you need also the objective function, that is, the function you wish to optimize, which is the amount of materila needed to construct the boiler. What measure of the boiler will we need?

MarkFL said:
You have stated the constraint, but you need also the objective function, that is, the function you wish to optimize, which is the amount of materila needed to construct the boiler. What measure of the boiler will we need?

I don't know the amount of material The problem says what i write

Maybe is it the area??
so it would be the area of the sphere 4 pi r2 +2 pirh

leprofece said:
I don't know the amount of material The problem says what i write

Maybe is it the area??
so it would be the area of the sphere 4 pi r2 +2 pirh

Yes, good...the surface area is a measure of the amount of material needed. So, I recommend solving the constraint for $H$ and the substituting into the objective function to obtain a function in one variable, and then minimizing this function. Can you state the objective function as a function of $r$? And recall $V$ is a constant.

MarkFL said:
Yes, good...the surface area is a measure of the amount of material needed. So, I recommend solving the constraint for $H$ and the substituting into the objective function to obtain a function in one variable, and then minimizing this function. Can you state the objective function as a function of $r$? And recall $V$ is a constant.

Lets see I almost got the answer i got cubic root of 3v/16 pi

from V equation I soplved and got H = V/2pir2-2R/3
Solving in a i got 8pir2/3+ V/R
I derived
16/3 pir3- V
And I equaled to 0
and i solved for R
I got cubic root of 3v/16 pi
IS IT THE BOOK WRONG?

No, your book is correct. I didn't notice before, but you have stated the constraint incorrectly. Look again at your first post regarding the volume of the boiler.

MarkFL said:
No, your book is correct. I didn't notice before, but you have stated the constraint incorrectly. Look again at your first post regarding the volume of the boiler.

i reviewed and i realize i used the same equation of mi first post
so i can't find out the mistake

Last edited:

The volume of the boiler is that of a cylinder and a sphere. You have twice the volume of a cylinder and then a sphere. So you want:

\(\displaystyle V=\pi r^2h+\frac{4}{3}\pi r^3\)

MarkFL said:
The volume of the boiler is that of a cylinder and a sphere. You have twice the volume of a cylinder and then a sphere. So you want:

Yeah I used that maybe the mistake is in the calculations but i could not find it

In the work you posted, it appears that you used the erroneous constraint. However, it was hard to read your work because you did not use bracketing symbols to clearly express rational terms.

MarkFL said:
In the work you posted, it appears that you used the erroneous constraint. However, it was hard to read your work because you did not use bracketing symbols to clearly express rational terms.

Lets see I almost got the answer i got cubic root of (3v/16 pi)

from V equation I solved and got H = V/(2pir2)-2R/3
Solving i got 8pir2/3+ V/R
I derived
16/(3 pir3)- V
And I equaled to 0
and i solved for R
I got cubic root of 3v/16 pi

I can't really tell what you are doing. Ordinarily I would not do this, but I feel we are not making progress, so I am going to show you how to work this problem...

Okay, we have the objective function, the surface area of the boiler:

\(\displaystyle S(h,r)=2\pi rh+4\pi r^2\)

and this is subject to the constraint:

Now, if we solve the constraint for $h$, we obtain:

\(\displaystyle h=\frac{3V-4\pi r^3}{3\pi r^2}\)

Now, substituting this into the objective function, we obtain:

\(\displaystyle S(r)=2\pi r\left(\frac{3V-4\pi r^3}{3\pi r^2} \right)+4\pi r^2\)

Simplify:

\(\displaystyle S(r)=2\left(\frac{3V-4\pi r^3}{3r} \right)+4\pi r^2\)

\(\displaystyle S(r)=2Vr^{-1}+\frac{4}{3}\pi r^2\)

Now, differentiate with respect to $r$ and equate the result to zero to obtain the critical value(s):

\(\displaystyle S'(r)=-2Vr^{-2}+\frac{8}{3}\pi r=\frac{2\left(4\pi r^3-3V \right)}{3r^2}=0\)

This implies (for $0<r$):

\(\displaystyle 4\pi r^3-3V=0\)

Solving for $r$, we find:

\(\displaystyle r=\sqrt[3]{\frac{3V}{4\pi}}\)

We can see that for any positive $r$, we have $S''(r)>0$, thus we know this critical value is at a minimum.

1. How can I reduce the initial cost of purchasing a boiler?

One way to minimize the cost of a boiler is to research and compare different brands and models to find one that is cost-effective and meets your specific needs. Additionally, considering energy-efficient options can help save on long-term operating costs.

2. Are there any maintenance tasks that can help reduce the overall cost of a boiler?

Regular maintenance, such as cleaning and tuning, can help improve the efficiency of the boiler and prevent costly repairs in the future. It is also important to address any issues or malfunctions promptly to avoid further damage and expenses.

3. How can I determine the appropriate size of a boiler for my needs?

The size of a boiler should be based on the heating requirements of your space or building. Factors such as square footage, insulation, and climate should be considered when determining the appropriate size. It is recommended to consult a professional for accurate sizing.

4. Is it worth investing in a more expensive boiler for long-term cost savings?

While a higher initial cost may seem daunting, investing in a high-quality and energy-efficient boiler can lead to significant long-term cost savings. These boilers often have lower operating costs and require less maintenance, making them a worthwhile investment.

5. Are there any government incentives or rebates available for minimizing the cost of a boiler?

Depending on your location and the type of boiler you are purchasing, there may be government incentives or rebates available to help offset the cost. It is recommended to research and inquire about any potential incentives before making a purchase.