Minimizing the surface of a sphere and cylinder

In summary: is it to find the dimensions of the body that minimizes the total surface area given a constant volume?
leprofece
279) A body is formed by a straight circular cylinder which ends up in a hemisphere. What are the dimensions that should have this body so the total surface area is minimal, if your volume is

answer Cubic sqrt( 3V/5 pi)

i tried to post an image of my notes and i couldnot i will type later

Vt = pir2H +2/3piR2 constant
A= 2pirH+ 2pir2

Derive implicit 2piH + pir(dH) + 4pir
dh = (-2r-h)/(r)

derive volume 2pirH + pir2(dH) + 2pir2

2pirH + pir2(-2r-h) + 2pir2 = 0
And I got piRh = 0

So h = 0 and this is not the answer

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Re: Max and min 6

If the image of your notes is on your hard drive and you are using Windows, you may upload it as an attachment as follows:

1.) Click the View attachment 1977button on the toolbar (you will see "Insert Image" when you hover your mouse cursor over it).

2.) Click the "From Computer" tab.

3.) Click the "Browse" button.

4.) Locate the file on your hard drive (or other available media), then double-click it to select it.

5.) Click "Upload File(s)" and the image will be uploaded and inserted inline in your post.

Attachments

• imageicon.jpg
    imageicon.jpg
    746 bytes · Views: 52

MarkFL said:
If the image of your notes is on your hard drive and you are using Windows, you may upload it as an attachment as follows:

1.) Click the View attachment 1977button on the toolbar (you will see "Insert Image" when you hover your mouse cursor over it).

2.) Click the "From Computer" tab.

3.) Click the "Browse" button.

4.) Locate the file on your hard drive (or other available media), then double-click it to select it.

5.) Click "Upload File(s)" and the image will be uploaded and inserted inline in your post.

Right I going to try
NO it appears (! in red)

leprofece said:
Right I going to try
NO it appears (! in red)

What is the file's extension?

Attachments

• Scan.jpg
    Scan.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 49

leprofece said:
279) A body is formed by a straight circular cylinder which ends up in a hemisphere. What are the dimensions that should have this body so the total surface area is minimal, if your volume is

answer Cubic sqrt( 3V/5 pi)

i tried to post an image of my notes and i couldnot i will type later

Vt = pir2H +2/3piR2 constant
A= 2pirH+ 2pir2

Derive implicit 2piH + pir(dH) + 4pir
dh = (-2r-h)/(r)

derive volume 2pirH + pir2(dH) + 2pir2

2pirH + pir2(-2r-h) + 2pir2 = 0
And I got piRh = 0

So h = 0 and this is not the answer

From what I can make out, you are given a body made up of a cylinder inscribed within a hemisphere, and the volume of the two components added together must remain constant. Which measure are you asked to find in terms of this constant volume? The radius of the hemisphere, the radius of the cylinder, or the height of the cylinder.

OHH Maybe I forgot to write that R = H
so it is radius and height that are equals to a cubic sqrt= and it is not zero as I found out

R = H = Cubic sqrt( 3V/5 pi)

leprofece said:
OHH Maybe I forgot to write that R = H
so it is radius and height that are equals to a cubic sqrt= and it is not zero as I found out

R = H = Cubic sqrt( 3V/5 pi)

Does this mean the height of the cylinder must be equal to the radius of the hemisphere? When you post a question, I would ask you to make sure the problem is clearly stated so that we know what you are asking. I am still unclear what you are being asked to do here.

MarkFL said:
Does this mean the height of the cylinder must be equal to the radius of the hemisphere? When you post a question, I would ask you to make sure the problem is clearly stated so that we know what you are asking. I am still unclear what you are being asked to do here.

volume is "V" So it is a problem of max and minimun and i am asked the minimal area of total surface of the body that is the sum of two as you said

volume is "V" So it is a problem of max and minimun and i am asked the minimal area of total surface of the body that is the sum of two as you said

Are you still confused ??
Do you want a copy of the spanish problem in your mail ??'

leprofece said:
Are you still confused ??
Do you want a copy of the spanish problem in your mail ??'

I don't speak or read Spanish, but yes I am still unsure what you are being asked to do. You have not answered my question:

Does this mean the height of the cylinder must be equal to the radius of the hemisphere?

Yes According to answer both of them are equals

Last edited:

Related to Minimizing the surface of a sphere and cylinder

1. How can the surface of a sphere be minimized?

The surface of a sphere can be minimized by reducing its radius. This means that the sphere will have a smaller surface area, as the radius is directly proportional to the surface area of a sphere.

2. What is the formula for calculating the surface area of a sphere?

The formula for calculating the surface area of a sphere is 4πr^2, where r is the radius of the sphere. This means that the surface area of a sphere is directly proportional to the square of its radius.

3. How can the surface of a cylinder be minimized?

The surface of a cylinder can be minimized by reducing its height and/or radius. This means that the cylinder will have a smaller surface area, as both the height and radius are directly proportional to its surface area.

4. What is the formula for calculating the surface area of a cylinder?

The formula for calculating the surface area of a cylinder is 2πrh + 2πr^2, where r is the radius and h is the height of the cylinder. This means that the surface area of a cylinder is directly proportional to both its radius and height.

5. Can the surface area of a sphere or cylinder be reduced to zero?

No, the surface area of a sphere or cylinder cannot be reduced to zero. This is because even if the radius and/or height are reduced to zero, there will still be a point or line that makes up the surface area, respectively. However, the surface area can be minimized to the smallest possible value.