Minimum Initial Speed for Complete Circular Loop in Inelastic Collision

In summary, a 18.00 Kg lead sphere hanging from a hook by a thin wire 3.80 m long is struck horizontally by a 4.50kg steel dart, embedding itself in the sphere. To make a complete circular loop after the collision, the minimum initial speed of the dart must be at least sqrt(5gr). The equation used to solve this problem should be vd = [(ms+md)v2]/md or vd = ms*v2/md + v2, with md on the outside of the parenthesis.
anubis01

Homework Statement

A 18.00 Kg lead sphere is hanging from a hook by a thin wire 3.80 m long, and is free to swing in a complete circle. Suddenly it is struck horizontally by a 4.50kg steel dart that embeds itself in the lead sphere.

a)What must be the minimum initial speed of the dart so that the combination makes a complete circular loop after the collision

Homework Equations

v1=(ms+md/md)v2

The Attempt at a Solution

d=dart s=sphere

mdvd=(ms+md)v2
vd=(ms+md/md)v2

v2 makes a complete circular loop so

1/2(md+ms)v22=(md+ms)2gr
v2=sqrt(4gr)
vd=(ms+md/md)sqrt(4gr)
vd=(18+4.5/4.5)sqrt(4*9.8*3.8)
=5*12.204=61.02m/s

vd=61.02m/s

Now my problem with this is the TA said I took all the right steps to solve this equation but I'm still getting an error using masteringphysics and I have gone over my work for errors 10 times by now. Is the work I did correct or am I missing something in my calculations.

Thanks in advanced for any assistance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi anubis01,

anubis01 said:

Homework Statement

A 18.00 Kg lead sphere is hanging from a hook by a thin wire 3.80 m long, and is free to swing in a complete circle. Suddenly it is struck horizontally by a 4.50kg steel dart that embeds itself in the lead sphere.

a)What must be the minimum initial speed of the dart so that the combination makes a complete circular loop after the collision

Homework Equations

v1=(ms+md/md)v2

The Attempt at a Solution

d=dart s=sphere

mdvd=(ms+md)v2
vd=(ms+md/md)v2

v2 makes a complete circular loop so

1/2(md+ms)v22=(md+ms)2gr

This equation is incorrect. Do you see what's wrong with it, since the object is going in a circular path (and attached to a wire instead of something like a rod)?

oh I see now, I didn't take into account that the velocity at the top of the loop needed to make one complete loop, so then the V2 comes out to sqrt(5gr). Thanks for the help.

anubis01 said:
mdvd=(ms+md)v2
vd=(ms+md/md)v2

Why did you put the md inside the parenthesis "md/md" it should be on the outside:
vd = [(ms+md)v2]/md
OR
vd = ms*v2/md + v2

Hi Perillux,

Perillux said:
Why did you put the md inside the parenthesis "md/md" it should be on the outside:
vd = [(ms+md)v2]/md
OR
vd = ms*v2/md + v2

It would definitely be less ambiguous to put the md outside the parenthesis, but I believe anubis01 had it interpreted correctly since he had:

(18+4.5/4.5) = 5

I've seen some textbooks use a+b/c to mean [tex]\frac{a+b}{c}[/tex]. It can be confusing (since it doesn't follow the order of operations we all learn in elementary school), and so is not a good idea, but I think in this case anubis01 was just being a bit sloppy in typing his post.

anubis01 said:
oh I see now, I didn't take into account that the velocity at the top of the loop needed to make one complete loop, so then the V2 comes out to sqrt(5gr). Thanks for the help.

why does V2 become sqrt(5gr) after taking into account the velocity at the top of the loop? how do you take into account the velocity at the top?

Related to Minimum Initial Speed for Complete Circular Loop in Inelastic Collision

1. What is an inelastic collision?

An inelastic collision is a type of collision in which kinetic energy is not conserved. This means that some energy is lost during the collision, typically in the form of heat or sound.

2. How does an inelastic collision differ from an elastic collision?

In an elastic collision, kinetic energy is conserved and the objects involved bounce off each other. In an inelastic collision, kinetic energy is not conserved and the objects stick together or deform upon impact.

3. What factors affect the outcome of an inelastic collision?

The mass and velocity of the objects involved, as well as the amount of energy lost during the collision, all affect the outcome of an inelastic collision. Friction and the materials of the objects can also play a role.

4. How can the coefficient of restitution be used to measure the elasticity of a collision?

The coefficient of restitution is a measure of the elasticity of a collision. It is defined as the ratio of the relative velocity of separation to the relative velocity of approach. In an elastic collision, the coefficient of restitution is equal to 1, while in an inelastic collision it is less than 1.

5. Can an inelastic collision be perfectly inelastic?

Yes, an inelastic collision can be perfectly inelastic, meaning that the two objects stick together and move as one object after the collision. This can occur when the objects have similar masses and velocities and collide head-on.