Minimum Length of Cuts for Unfolding Box Into Flat Sheet?

The (10x5x3) is the volume. You want to take the surface area of a 10x5x3 box to be the area of the sheet that you cut.In summary, the conversation revolves around finding the correct cuts to make a net for a 10x5x3 box. The initial answer of 36cm is incorrect and the correct answer is 32cm. There is confusion about the terminology and methods used to make the cuts, but eventually the correct solution is found.
Darkmisc
Homework Statement
What is the minimum length of cuts necessary to make a net from a 10x5x3 box?
Relevant Equations
None.
Hi everyone

I got 36 cm as the answer for the following problem, but it's supposed to be 32cm.

1658034328533.png

These are the cuts I have
4 x 5cm = 20cm
2 x 3cm = 6 cm
1 x 10cm = 10cm
which adds up to 36cm.

1658034296004.png
I can get 32cm with
4x3=12
2x5=10
1x10=10

But I don't think that would be the correct net.

Is there a mistake in the answer?

Thanks

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
Nevermind. I have the wrong net.

• Wow
Likes Delta2
It's not clear to me what you mean by "open the box to form a net"? How do you define the net? So that all vertices of the box lie on the same plane?

I just needed to make cuts so that the box could be unfolded into a single, flat sheet. I made the cuts in the wrong place. That's why I got 36cm.

• Informative
Likes Delta2
Darkmisc said:
I just needed to make cuts so that the box could be unfolded into a single, flat sheet. I made the cuts in the wrong place. That's why I got 36cm.

Ok fine , something else I didn't quite understand, every cut must be made along one of the 12 edges of the box or you can do "random diagonical" cuts?

I think it's only along the edges.

Likes Delta2
Darkmisc said:
I just needed to make cuts so that the box could be unfolded into a single, flat sheet.
I was also confused by your original title mentioning "net". I've updated your title to make it more clear what you were trying to do. :smile:

Likes Darkmisc and Delta2
It reminds me of this episode of " Two and a Half Men", where Charlie calls a place asking for a net. They leave him waiting for a good 10 minutes, then this lady answers. Charlie asks: " Who are You"? She says " Annette ".

• Haha
Likes Delta2
Darkmisc said:
Homework Statement:: What is the minimum length of cuts necessary to make a net from a 10x5x3 box?
Relevant Equations:: None.

Hi everyone

I got 36 cm as the answer for the following problem, but it's supposed to be 32cm.

View attachment 304291

These are the cuts I have
4 x 5cm = 20cm
2 x 3cm = 6 cm
1 x 10cm = 10cm
which adds up to 36cm.

View attachment 304290I can get 32cm with
4x3=12
2x5=10
1x10=10

But I don't think that would be the correct net.

Is there a mistake in the answer?

Thanks
Careful, though. By dimensional analysis, your units here are area ( squared) units, as they're all products of ( ##cm )(cm)=cm^2##. You're removing rectangular sections, not linear ones, which I believe is what the problem asks you to do.

berkeman said:
I was also confused by your original title mentioning "net". I've updated your title to make it more clear what you were trying to do. :smile:
I remember when I first heard the word "net" applied to a 2D template for a 3D object.
I don't know if I just never learned that term in school, or if was introduced in the 21 century as part of the "new math".

Likes Delta2
Darkmisc said:
Homework Statement:: What is the minimum length of cuts necessary to make a net from a 10x5x3 box?
Relevant Equations:: None.

I can get 32cm with
32cm seems all right.

1. What is the minimum length of cuts needed to unfold a box into a flat sheet?

The minimum length of cuts needed to unfold a box into a flat sheet depends on the size and shape of the box. Generally, it is recommended to make at least two cuts along the edges of the box to create a flat sheet without any overlapping flaps. However, the exact length of cuts may vary based on the dimensions of the box.

2. Can a box be unfolded into a flat sheet without any cuts?

No, it is not possible to unfold a box into a flat sheet without any cuts. The flaps of the box need to be separated in order to create a flat sheet. Even if the box is made of a single piece of material, it would still require at least one cut to be unfolded.

3. How can the minimum length of cuts be calculated for a specific box?

The minimum length of cuts for a specific box can be calculated by measuring the dimensions of the box and adding the length of the edges that need to be cut. For example, if a box has dimensions of 10 inches by 6 inches by 4 inches, the minimum length of cuts would be 20 inches (10 inches + 6 inches + 4 inches).

4. Is there a mathematical formula for determining the minimum length of cuts for unfolding a box into a flat sheet?

Yes, there is a mathematical formula for determining the minimum length of cuts for unfolding a box into a flat sheet. It is known as the "net formula" and it involves adding the dimensions of the box and subtracting the length of the edges that do not need to be cut. This formula is commonly used in packaging design and can be easily found online.

5. Are there any techniques for minimizing the number of cuts needed to unfold a box into a flat sheet?

Yes, there are techniques for minimizing the number of cuts needed to unfold a box into a flat sheet. One technique is to use a "score and fold" method, where instead of making cuts, the edges of the box are scored (lightly cut) to make it easier to fold and create a flat sheet. Another technique is to use a "corner cut" method, where only the corners of the box are cut to create a flat sheet. However, these techniques may not work for all box shapes and sizes.