Mechanical Resonance Lab Questions

In summary: For question 3, I think this would be the same as question 1 (it's the only one where both the lengths are the same).In summary, the lab had questions that needed to be answered, but the person didn't have any access to equipment. They were still able to answer the questions as best they could and any help would be appreciated.
lia256
Hey everyone. I have a lab with questions we have to answer but I don't really have any access to equipment. I still have to answer the questions to the best of my ability and any help will be appreciated!

1. Homework Statement

A string is attached to two retort stands and two equal masses (200g) are suspended from this string by a thread. The length of the string holding mass 1 is 30cm long and the length of mass 2's string is changed to 10cm, 20cm, 30cm, and 40cm.In the lab, mass 2 is pulled back a small distance and released, the motion of mass 1 is then observed.

YvgfLtX.png

This is the image, where the length of I1 stays constant (30 cm) and the length of I2 varies.
  1. At what string length did mass 2 create the maximum oscillation of mass 1? Using the term frequency, explain why this happened.
  2. At what string length did mass 2 create the minimum oscillation of mass 1? Using the term frequency, explain why this happened.
  3. Mass 1 had a large amplitude of vibration in only one case. Explain why.
  4. What effect did increasing the tension on the string have on the amplitude achieved by mass 1? Why did this occur?
  5. Using the terms “forced frequency” and “resonant amplitude,” describe the effect that increasing the tension had on the resonant amplitude of mass 1.

Homework Equations

None needed.

The Attempt at a Solution

For question 1, I was guessing 30 cm because the length of the strings holding mass 1 and mass 2 are the same therefore the resonant frequencies are the same (I have no idea if this is at all correct or if I'm just making stuff up.)
For question 2, I'm tempted to choose 10 cm though I don't know why.
For question 3, I think this would be the same as question 1 (it's the only one where both the lengths are the same).
For both questions 4 and 5, I don't know what the answer would be.

Thanks for any help!

Attachments

• upload_2019-1-2_14-17-22.png
    upload_2019-1-2_14-17-22.png
    1.1 KB · Views: 287
  • YvgfLtX.png
    YvgfLtX.png
    1.6 KB · Views: 596
Physics news on Phys.org
lia256 said:
I don't really have any access to equipment
Doesn't sound too hard to set something up at home.
lia256 said:
mass 2 is pulled back a small distance
I assume this is "out of the page" in the diagram.
lia256 said:
Using the terms “forced frequency” and “resonant amplitude,”
Have you looked those up?
lia256 said:
Relevant equations
Again, I am sure you could find some with a little searching.
lia256 said:
For question 1, I was guessing 30 cm
Seems reasonable.
lia256 said:
For question 2, I'm tempted to choose 10 cm though I don't know why.
What do you know about harmonics? (But I'm not sure of my own answer here.)

1. What is mechanical resonance?

Mechanical resonance is a phenomenon in which a mechanical system vibrates at its natural frequency when exposed to an external force or vibration. This results in a significant increase in amplitude and can cause damage to the system if not controlled properly.

2. How is mechanical resonance measured?

Mechanical resonance can be measured using various techniques such as frequency response analysis, impact testing, and modal analysis. These methods involve exciting the system at different frequencies and measuring the response to determine the natural frequency and resonant peaks.

3. What are some common applications of mechanical resonance?

Mechanical resonance is used in various applications such as musical instruments, bridges, buildings, and machines. It is also utilized in ultrasound technology, where the resonance of crystals is used to generate high-frequency sound waves for medical imaging.

4. How can mechanical resonance be controlled?

Mechanical resonance can be controlled by changing the stiffness, mass, or damping of the system. This can be achieved by adding dampers, tuning the natural frequency, or using vibration isolation techniques. It is also important to avoid operating the system at or near its natural frequency.

5. What are the risks of mechanical resonance?

Mechanical resonance can cause excessive vibrations, leading to fatigue and failure of the system. It can also result in excessive noise, which can be harmful to human health. In extreme cases, it can cause catastrophic failures, such as bridge collapses, if not properly understood and controlled.