Minimum length x for no slipping

In summary: The hanger has a weight of 50W, when it is hanging from a horizontal bar with a friction of 0.30, what is the distance the hanger will be from the bar?In summary, the hanger will be 10.716cm from the bar.
Ithilrandir
Homework Statement
Adjustable supports that can be slid up and down vertical posts are very useful in many applications. Such a support is shown in the figure, with pertinent dimensions. If the coefficient of static friction between post and support is 0.30, and if a load 50 times the weight of the hanger is to be placed on the hanger at X, what is the minimum value of D for no slipping of the hanger?
Relevant Equations
I'm letting the weight of the hanger be W.

Since there is no slipping, the total frictional force will be = total weight.

When the load of 50W is placed at X, there'll be a normal force at the left end of the pole on top to the left, and another normal force at the right end of the pole at the bottom to the right.

Since friction F = 0.30 normal force N,

Taking pivot at the CM,
50W(X - 15) = 2(15)F + 22N

Total weight = 51W, and since there are two frictional forces (top and bottom),

2F = 51W,

50WX - 750W = 765W + 168.3W

X= 33.666 cm.

The answer is 32cm, so there is something wrong with my steps.

Attachments

• IMG_20210217_140458.jpg
    IMG_20210217_140458.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 92
Physics news on Phys.org
Ithilrandir said:
what is the minimum value of D for no slipping of the hanger?

Taking pivot at the CM,
50W(X - 15) = 2(15)F + 22N
I don't see D defined anywhere.

I think you mean taking a pivot below the CM of the hanger, at the height of the lower bracket.

Where exactly do you have N and F acting on the upper bracket, and which ways do they point?

haruspex said:
I don't see D defined anywhere.

I think you mean taking a pivot below the CM of the hanger, at the height of the lower bracket.

Where exactly do you have N and F acting on the upper bracket, and which ways do they point?

The D was a typo, I had meant X. I have F acting on the inner side of the support acting upwards. The upper N is on the left side acting left, the lower N is on the right side acting right.

Ithilrandir said:
The D was a typo, I had meant X. I have F acting on the inner side of the support acting upwards. The upper N is on the left side acting left, the lower N is on the right side acting right.
Ok, so you are taking moments about a point above the mass centre, at the height of the upper support. So the friction and normal force in your equation are on the lower support, at the RHS of the column, acting up and to the right respectively.
For each of those, does it act clockwise or anticlockwise about the axis?

haruspex said:
Ok, so you are taking moments about a point above the mass centre, at the height of the upper support. So the friction and normal force in your equation are on the lower support, at the RHS of the column, acting up and to the right respectively.
For each of those, does it act clockwise or anticlockwise about the axis?

The Friction acts clockwise, the normal force acts anticlockwise.

So 15F + 50W = 22N.

Ithilrandir said:
The Friction acts clockwise, the normal force acts anticlockwise.

So 15F + 50W = 22N.
What happened to X?

haruspex said:
What happened to X?
My bad. 15F + 50(X-15) = 22N. Is this right?

Ithilrandir said:
Looks good.

Ithilrandir said:
This doesn't seem right in calculations as I get 10.716 for X.

Ithilrandir said:
This doesn't seem right in calculations as I get 10.716 for X.
Yes, I missed another error.
Both frictional forces need to be in that torque balance equation.

Last edited:
haruspex said:
Yes, I missed another error.
Both frictional forces need to be in that torque balance equation. Or consider them as a couple, which means the distance is not 15cm.
The two frictional forces should be in the same direction, so isn't the net effect just 2F x 15?

Ithilrandir said:
The two frictional forces should be in the same direction, so isn't the net effect just 2F x 15?
They act on opposite sides of the shaft.
(Strike my remark about a couple - must be past my bedtime.)

haruspex said:
They act on opposite sides of the shaft.
(Strike my remark about a couple - must be past my bedtime.)
Ah I see. I should've placed the friction where I had placed the normal force. I will test it tmr after work.

I manged to get the answer after pouring fixing some mistakes in my algebra with the new equation.

1. What is the minimum length required for no slipping to occur?

The minimum length required for no slipping to occur depends on several factors, including the surface material, the weight of the object, and the coefficient of friction between the object and the surface. In general, a longer length will provide more stability and reduce the chances of slipping.

2. How does the weight of an object affect the minimum length for no slipping?

The weight of an object plays a significant role in determining the minimum length for no slipping. Heavier objects have a greater force of gravity acting on them, which can increase the likelihood of slipping. Therefore, a longer length may be required to prevent slipping.

3. What is the coefficient of friction and how does it impact the minimum length for no slipping?

The coefficient of friction is a measure of the resistance between two surfaces in contact. It is affected by factors such as surface roughness and the materials involved. A higher coefficient of friction means more resistance and a lower likelihood of slipping, so a shorter length may be sufficient for no slipping to occur.

4. Can the minimum length for no slipping be calculated?

Yes, the minimum length for no slipping can be calculated using the formula L = μW, where L is the minimum length, μ is the coefficient of friction, and W is the weight of the object. This calculation can provide a general estimate, but it may not account for all variables and factors.

5. Are there any other factors besides length that can prevent slipping?

Yes, there are other factors besides length that can prevent slipping. These include the surface material, the angle of the surface, and the presence of any external forces. Additionally, using non-slip materials or adding friction-enhancing devices can also help prevent slipping.